• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is needed?

Jeepin04

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I have a 01 xj 2wd (had to trade my 77 cj7 for something with a backseat because I am a new dad). I just got done purchasing some coils and blocks to raise my xj 3"...In the process, I got a smoking deal on tires/rims that I just couldn't pass up. They are 285/75/16's. So I picked them up and was planning on trimming my fenders. I don't do a lot of extreme offroading, but I do go camping and like going exploring on some of the trails.

My first question is this: Do I stick with the 3" lift and trim my fenders so that my tires will work, or do I go to a 4.5" lift? I can get the leaf packs and shocks (already have the 3" coil and 1.75" spacer") for a decent price.

2nd question: If I go with the 4.5" lift, what else would be a necessity for this to work? Remember its 2wd and I have the coils and can get the shocks/leaf packs. Any advice would be much appreciated....

Thats a pretty big tire for a 2wd jeep. You will need the 4.5 inches and a little cutting or 3 inch and a lot more cutting. You will also need to adress track bar, brake lines, bump stops, possibly a sye kit? idk about 2wd jeeps. Its not as simple as coils and leafs. And you dont want to run 3 inch blocks in the back, they cause all types of problems.

tires are just under 33"... they'll be to close for comfort in the wheel wells with 3" lift, not properly bumpstopped & no fender trimming... even with proper bumpstops, uptravel will be quite short & will make for a bone smashing DD

lots of rigs are set up with low COG in mind & 33's on 3" lift has been done... but its involved... they're going for max drop... thats when extended brake lines, relocated track bar, longer shox, over knuckle/crossover steering are of concern... u say u'r not going for extreme use, so u dont need to worry too much about that stuff

going to 4.5", since u dont have a transfer case, no need to worry about SYE kit or xfer case drop... might need leaf spring degree shims to correct driveline angles or lengthened driveshaft (if u get vibes after lifting)

for leafs, u can probably get away with adding a leaf to the factory pack or get an aftermarket lift pack... go with shackles instead of blocks... better design to give lift to the rear... http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/RLS.html

At 4.5" you really need a different spring pack. Add-a-leafs stiffen the bejeebus out of the suspensio and, IMO, makes for a rather nasty DD. Even at 3", AALs are not the best way to go.

Watch the For Sale listings for your local chapter for good prices on used parts. With the exception of the Control Arms and Cross Member, my entire lift has been built with parts from NAXJA.

Remember, every part in your Heep is a used one...

Back