• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ won't shift higher than 1st

Redskin

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 99 XJ AW4 with a NP231 and its all stock except 4" lift and 33" Nitto Mud Grapplers. It won't shift higher than 1st but I got Reverse and Neutral (obviously). I've tried everything I've searched just about except replacing the TCM, and my TPS is good. The only code its throwing is for my O2 sensors that aren't there anymore. Anyone got any ideas I just wanna drive my Jeep again

Pull fuse/disconnect TCU and see if you can shift it manually. If so, then TCU is most likely your issue.

plenty of aw4 diagnostics threads out there, and even a printout from some auto transmission shop magazine.

i suggest you start there... this has been covered a million times, and is the equivelant of 'how do i do my taxes?'.... long story.

fusebox.jpg

Hard to see in this photo but it's the lower right corner marked TRANS right next to the screw. Pull that fuse...your back-up lights won't work but you shouold be able to manually shift through the gears.

Last edited:
The AW4 soloenoids are on the same circuit as the O2 sensors. The sensors missing may be contributing, if not causing your shifting issues.

Paradise I don't see that fuse panel anywhere under my dash. Is there a panel I need to remove to see it?
And if its the solenoid actually throwing the code would it be blocked by the O2 sensor code or would it throw just the one since they are on the same circuit?

The fuse panel shown is for an early model Renix system. If you removed the TCU and it didn't shift manualy, the problem is in the tranny.

I've tried shifting manually by unplugging the TCM but didnt do the fuse still wouldn't shift would that matter.

By shifting manually did you start off in the 1-2 position and shift as the XJ gain speed? If you did that with the TCM disconnected and it still did not shift then you have a faulty AW4 as per old_man.

I pulled out the four relays on the passenger side under the hood and wire brushed them on my 1988 jeep cherokee sport. Plugged them back in and it started shifting fine. I talked to someone on the rubicon trail when I was up there and we both had the same issue after pressure washing the engine compartment. Just an idea. It worked for me :)

Back