• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2006 4.0 block into a 1992 XJ ?'s

YJ-4BT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. First time posting on this forum. I'm doing this for a cousin of mine. She has a 1992 XJ with +300,000 miles on the ticker. It doesn't smoke but is leaking more oil these days and is tired as hell. Normally I would pull it, do a head job, throw some rings on it and replace the bearings but she is a single mom and limited on her funds so I am going to help her out as best I can.
Anyways, I picked up a 2006 4.0 with 36,000 miles for another project but was thinking about just putting that in.
In order to keep the existing 1992 computer etc., could I simply rebuild and use the 92 cylinder head and use the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and throttle body etc from the 92 onto the 2006 block? Would there be differences in push rod length etc?. Any suggestions and/or comments are welcome as I need to move on this soon. She is 34 and this has been her driver since she bought it @ 18 years. She doesn't want to get rid of it because it has been a sound vehicle. Thanks in advance guys.

the 91 and 92 models are interesting vehicles, they have different computers, and even the flywheel is different(only as far as how the CPS counts revolutions.)

anyways the block should work, but you will need all the 92 electronics and things like flywheel etc.

The TJ/LJ/WJ engine blocks have different motor mounts and belt driven accessory mounts. XJ and ZJ engine blocks will interchange. There are questions about if the swap will work or not.

See this thread - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015349

Last edited:
The TJ/LJ/WJ engine blocks have different motor mounts and belt driven accessory mounts. XJ and ZJ engine blocks will interchange. There are questions about if the swap will work or not.

See this thread - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015349

Thanks for that link. That gives me a bunch to think about. I may hold off on the 2006 4.0 and find an earlier one to rebuild while she drives hers a little more.

Back