• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uneven RE1463 leaves

WrenchMonkey

NAXJA Member #771
NAXJA Member
After six months and a couple thousand miles, my second-hand but never-before-installed RE 3.5" springs have settled very unevenly.

I'm measuring about 3" lift from the passenger spring, and 4" from the drivers.
1" difference there makes about 1.75" difference at the bumper ends, producing a gangsta lean you can see from across the street. Friends, coworkers, even strangers are starting to hassle me about it.

Yes, I have loosened and retightened the bushing bolts more than once. Yes, I'm sure its the leaves doing it. Yes, I verified that they're both stenciled "RE 1463." Although, the stencils themselves are completely different:

4" drivers:
RE1463D.jpg

3" passenger:
RE1463P.jpg

Don't know, probably doesn't mean anything...

So anyway, what are my options?

Here are my non-options:
- I can't hassle RE about them, I bought em second hand. Unused, but second hand.
- I'm not spending $400 on new springs and throwing these "premium" leaves in the trash.
- I can't buy one new one, because (a) it'd be a crap shoot which side to put it on, and (b) these started at about 6" lift. Replacing just one would make it lean so bad it'd drive funny.

I guess I could pull a leaf out of the tall one, or add 1" block to the short one. I actually have an overload spring I could use. It's pretty well flat, but 1/2" thick. I could do that and a 1/2" block.

Thoughts?

Robert

Last edited:
before rearching, id try swapping them left and right. maybe your jeep is heavier to one side.

Thought about it, even moved some cargo/spares around... But my old, saggy-ass rustys always sat even, for nine long years...

I dunno. Any idea what a re-arch would cost? Guess I gotta find a spring shop first and call them...

Robert

Back