• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Final Lift Decision, what do you think?

Unleashed

NAXJA Forum User
So on my last jeep i have a 4.5in RC short arm kit and had a great time with it but i want to upgrade to something a little more intense for my new jeep....Right now i have a small 4inch lift on my 98 i just bought but i plan on changing the whole entire suspension on it but i dont know where to start off and with which brand?

The Kits that i am considering

XJ 5.5 LONG ARM KIT by Serious off road
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=86104

6.5" Long Arm Lift Kit with Performance 2.2 shocks - Rough Country
http://store.4wheelingplus.com/prodd...ERF618&cat=199

XJ 6.5" Critical Path Long Arm Lift Kit
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

Also as far as SYE, i still need to find out some more information on that since i have a 242 transfercase.....

Also one more thing to have in mind, what ever lift kit i end up going with i might end up buying two since i am also looking for a Xj for my buddy that i am going to help him build so might as well get both at once

Trust me i had comparing companies because everyone puts different type of quality in theyre product but in this economy i try to save as much as i can......

please let me know what you guys think....and girls

Side not, will end up doing a 4 link rear end eventually haha

Look through the various threads on long arm kits that are already here, there's loads of information available. Also, if you're wondering about price, contact a few of the vendors and as them for quotes.

If you think you can link the rear of your Jeep, you can make a custom three link up front. Also, there is no reason to link the rear of a nice full body Jeep.

Only choice of SYE setups for the 242 are hack n taps. I run the RE hack n tap and its been fine for a few years with some hard wheeling and DD.

If you plan on just putting 35s on you have quite a bit more work to be doing and sorting out other then just getting a lift kit..... Gears, lockers, possibly a new rear axle (depends on if you have a dana 35 or not). I would also rebuild the 30 inside and out, well the inside will be done with the gears but I would also change the u joints, hubs and ball joints along with the upper control arm bushings. I would reccomend just getting some 33s so it can buy you some time to get the other things done in the mean time, for the most part 33s can do 80% of the stuff 35s do wheeling wise.

Regarding lift kits, go with a long arm setup from the start which seems like you already are. Forget about IRO's "3 link", their stupid caster adjustor is a weak design and I've personally seen one fail. For the money I would go with Claytons or Rock Krawlers 3 link or even TNTs setup.

My Final Lift Decision, what do you think?
I think that if you're like the rest of us, this won't be your final lift kit, unless you're planning on dying right after you take delivery, but before you install it.

For the record, I'd say go with 4-4.5", and cut the fenders for 35"s. Plan on upgrading to alloy 'shafts

1. in most cases you dont need to go any higher than 4.5-5 inches of lift.
2. IRO has a ghey caster assembley that is just weak.

I've seen a thread on here that discribes the upper coontrol arm bracket failing
on that Critical Path kit. May want to check into that.
yeah i need to do some more research on each lift kit i am looking at and see what people say about them

Only choice of SYE setups for the 242 are hack n taps. I run the RE hack n tap and its been fine for a few years with some hard wheeling and DD.

If you plan on just putting 35s on you have quite a bit more work to be doing and sorting out other then just getting a lift kit..... Gears, lockers, possibly a new rear axle (depends on if you have a dana 35 or not). I would also rebuild the 30 inside and out, well the inside will be done with the gears but I would also change the u joints, hubs and ball joints along with the upper control arm bushings. I would reccomend just getting some 33s so it can buy you some time to get the other things done in the mean time, for the most part 33s can do 80% of the stuff 35s do wheeling wise.

Regarding lift kits, go with a long arm setup from the start which seems like you already are. Forget about IRO's "3 link", their stupid caster adjustor is a weak design and I've personally seen one fail. For the money I would go with Claytons or Rock Krawlers 3 link or even TNTs setup.
i am going to end up running 4.88 years with ARB lockers front and rear or maybe just some E lockers, i also have a spare dana 30 sitting in the back which i am going to end up rebuilding then just putting it on and as far as the rear i am going dana 44 with that. But the jeep isnt my daily driver right now so i have some leeway with it as far as letting it sit till i can get some nice tires for it.

lift wise i was thinking of going 5inch max because of COG but 6inch just looks badass lol
I think that if you're like the rest of us, this won't be your final lift kit, unless you're planning on dying right after you take delivery, but before you install it.

For the record, I'd say go with 4-4.5", and cut the fenders for 35"s. Plan on upgrading to alloy 'shafts

Yeah i changed my last jeeps setup twice and still wasnt happy but hopefully i do it right the first time and not have to do it again haha, i still keep debating on the height of it

Bolded statement, not true. Tom Woods makes a main shaft/SYE kit for the 242. But the HnT is not a bad thing.

2. IRO has a ghey caster assembley that is just weak.

Yet i haven't heard of one of the "weak" caster adjustment assemblies breaking......

Back