• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW at 55mph...ok around town

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
My kid took the XJ for his first highway run solo.All I can say is he scared the crap outta himself.I guess he got up to 55mph and the Jeep started shaking violently..He got scared and pulled off the highway and took the backspace home.I'm gonna start by getting it aligned...it's becoming a money pit! I'm hoping it's not the trackbar..,any suggestions?

Like they said, check the wheel balance.

Real DW happens usually after a bump or a change in the road surface. It will scare the crap out of you (ask me how i know.) I would double check everything in the front end it tight, it seems like most of the time something (track bar) is loose. that is what happened to me, i had my dad turn the wheel while i inspected everything, and come to find out the bolt on the track bar at the axle had come loose. if this happens, you need to make sure that the hole is not wallowed out... If it is you can get a piece of steel, drill hole in it and weld it to the mount on the axle. Luckily mine was not, and all i had to do was tighten every thing. I also checked everything else on the front end, death wobble is so intense im sure it could easily loosen many bolts and i just felt better that i had checked everything else.

Hopefully this helps, there are also many other threads on DW, they have alot more info then what i said.

I'm not sure about the front end so I think I'll have it checked out.It has a lift on it and I'm not sure how well that was installed.The tires might be outta balance like the other guy suggested...I've got 3 Jeeps now and I have been throwing alot of parts in them lately.The XJ is my kids..I've had 3 others but this one the PO "customized"--I've spent a ton already fixing his work.

After raising several kids, having a vehicle that won't go over 55 sounds like a marketable idea.

The reason it makes me think of a tire out of balance/possible bad alignment is that it happens at a certain speed.

when i had DW i could be going 10 mph or 60mph, it didnt matter if i hit a bump i was.... well i guess i could say i was in for a bumpy ride. when you have a DW, you will know, and you will not be able to control it.

Ha ha...I've got 3 driving and I swear the girls are the worst.They drive like pissed off NASCAR drivers.The XJ is my son's and he's pretty calm..although I think this scared the crap outta him.I gotta get it fixed...then I can get back to work on the wife's new Liberty, my next headache.

What is it about an XJ that they are so prone to DW. I have had 3 TJ's no issues, both the XJ's i have had had dw problems and atleast 2 friends have had it.

What is it about an XJ that they are so prone to DW. I have had 3 TJ's no issues, both the XJ's i have had had dw problems and atleast 2 friends have had it.

I am having trouble with "death wobble" on my 99 (daily driver; no lift) as well. Mine is only triggered between 58-62 mph. I have a slight vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel between those same speeds, which is assuredly related. The vibe can turn into DW if you drive in that speed zone long enough, especially on a smooth road.

There is no vibe or DW at speeds below and above 58-62. For whatever reason, that seems to be a popular harmonic speed for this to occur as I've read many other threads with similar conditions relating to their DW.

I have already installed new upper and lower ball joints, new wheel u-joints and steering dampener. (the dampener is never a cause of DW, but can mask it and mine was shot as it was the original).

Also important to note: Both the vibe and the death wobble have happened through two different sets of tires now, and wheels have all been verified for runout. We are absolutely certain that this is not a tire or wheel issue for my XJ.

This situation is bugging the crap out of me, and I am going to get to the root cause of it. My buddy has a shop and we are going to put my XJ up on his hoist this coming week to try to isolate. I'll post what I find and others should post the fix for their DW as well.

Here is a popular list of some things to check. Start with a very close inspection of the track bar, track bar bushings and control arm bushings. That is what I plan on doing.
-------------------------------------
Possible causes of DEATH WOBBLE. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious.

Note: It can oftentimes be caused by a combination of things!

-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

Last edited:

Nice double post and considering the tj and xj have the same exact front suspension there should be neither one more prone to DW. I suppose if the xj's were older that would make the most sense.

theres a list of about 20 items that can and will cause death wobble... go search and find it, then go thru the list, item by item. anything else, is just other people telling you what caused THEIR death wobble, not yours.

alignment shouldve been the first thing youve done.

the good news is, your kid doesnt panic. the way i see it he's survived the first jeep test.

Surprisingly no one has mentioned to check the lugnuts as the first thing to do. Although that may seem to be the least likely.., an ounce of prevention.., the next thing is to check wheel balance. One note about corroded alloy wheels is that they tend to accumulate loads of mud that offset proper lead/weight balancings. Check the tire mounted front wheels for any wobble, i.e., side to side, in and out from the top to bottom. All the aforementioned are free of cost checks. It is also proper, i.e., check alignment-- which is costly in my area, i.e., a hundred bucks. All of that said, as "xcm" said, as per "birchlake"'s 'list', those of us who have fixed our DW, are reporting the part(s) that corrected said. Good thing I already did numbers 1, and 2 before my first DW! However, by investigating this site, I found my best solution to old worn/wearing out parts to my front end was to generally do all I could to diminish DW. Hence I found a member here on NAXJA, who has product solutions: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/ Beyond the fact that I was going to order OME coils, leafs, and shocks before my first experience with DW, then experiencing it, my investigations of DW led me to take his advice, especially after reading nearly everything on his web site, and purchased what I felt I needed to correct DW, (including JKS discos as an aside to the issue). Hooray! I have one sweet front end now on my '89, not to forget to mention the non-sway bar rear as well, lol. Oh, and to you fellows that might be interested, the CIBIE head lights are spectacular, and the ARB winch bull bumper is just what I needed in case I run into any Alaskan Kangaroos:cheers:

Still trying to narrow it down...got steel wheels on it.I'm thinking one of the rims is bad.I'm trying to find a new set of rims and tires.The kids driving the Liberty now til I figure this out.

Got it sorted out..front end alignment done...the wheels were way out of balance.One wheel had like 6 ounces of weight on it.I couldn't believe that! I also replaced the steering stabilizer..rides great now, took it up to 75 mph on the highway..smooth as silk.Thanks for all the suggestions.Now the wife has her Liberty back and the kids happy!

Back