• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Electronic to manual speedo conversion

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently bought a NP231 to replace my very sad NP228! My question is I am have a hard time understanding whether its as simple as pulling the electronic gear and replacing it with a cable driven or whether I need to replace the whole speedo housing? This is mounted in a 1986 jeep cherokee and the TC came out of a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Any help will be appreciated.

What engine and transmission are in your 86 ? The 1984-1986 XJ series had two choices of transfer case. XJ's with Command Trac, used the NP207. The Selec Trac Cherokees & Wagoneers used the part-time/full-time NP228 and NP229.

Your 1996 T-case has a 23 spline input, what does your 86 have for a spline count ? Is the 231 bolt pattern correct to bolt to your transmission ?

IDK if changing the speedo hook-up is as simple as swapping out parts. You may have to buy the correct used T-case with the mechanical hook-up to solve your speedo hook-up problems.

Last edited:
What engine and transmission are in your 86 ? The 1984-1986 XJ series had two choices of transfer case. XJ's with Command Trac, used the NP207. The Selec Trac Cherokees & Wagoneers used the part-time/full-time NP228 and NP229.

Your 1996 T-case has a 23 spline input, what does your 86 have for a spline count ? Is the 231 bolt pattern correct to bolt to your transmission ?

Buying the correct used T-case should also solve your speedo hook-up problems.
Unfortunately it is the 2.8l and the A904 transmission. I got a really good deal on the TC thats why I am making it work. It's already mounted to the transmission. I am trying to button up the last details being the speedo and the shifter for the TC!

Also if there is anyone who has swapped from a NP228/229 to a NP231 please chime in on what you did for the shifter. I noticed on newer vehicles they have a bracket bolted to the tranny which I don't have and there are no holes on the side!

anything? anyone?

All that is needed is a mechanical drive unit(just the gear driven part that bolts on the t-case tail cone) from a early 231,it will fit all applications including HD SYE kits.

Back