• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diagnosing "clutch area" issues

acannell

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj, fully stock, 190,000 miles, stick shift

noticed the following symptoms while driving around town:

First symptom: after driving out of carls jr. drive thru, parked and shut engine off. A/C had been on and it was a hot day. Started it back up 10 minutes later, and would not go into gear. Made grinding sound when I tried to push gear shift in, and would crawl forward even with clutch all the way in. However, would shift into gear if engine was off. Turned engine off, shifted to 1st, and started engine. Made a CLUNK sound and then everything was fine. Hasnt happened since, although I barely drive it since. My conclusion: pilot bearing frozen to input shaft, somehow heat related.

Second symptom: made continous rattling sound while at idle. Transmission functioned normally. Driveable. Went away after restart. My conclusion: starter gear still sticking out and contacting ring gear on flywheel. starter going bad?

Could these things be related? Both these problems appeared within 100 miles of each other and I have had no problems till now. I am expecting the entire powertrain to explode at some point given the mileage, but I'm not letting it die without a fight.

Back