• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ stuck in 4wd issue?

dn9979

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday was the first time i had to use the 4wd in my XJ when i was picking up a AE86 with a tow dolly...

steep gravel driveway starting to spin the rear tires ETC...

drove 30+ miles on the hwy with no issues in 2wd on the way back..

Now when turning left it binds just like its stuck in 4wd....

the typical wheel shake and bind when turning at slow speeds on dry pavement..

Any tips?

what transfer case? Are your motor mounts good?

From reading your post, I got the impression that you're not positive it's in 4wd. What I usually do is get onto gravel, stick my head out the window and look at the front wheel. Floor the gas. If the front wheel spits out gravel, you are in 4wd.

If you *are* stuck in 4wd, the first thing to do is check the linkage adjustment on your t-case shifter.

Next step is to look for slop in the bushing on the little shifter bar bolted on side of the the TCase. I'm talking about the thing on the T-case that moves when you move your 4WD shift lever.

Next step is to pull off the rear T-case housing and check the mode spring.

Also check your chain tension while you have the rear housing off.

If none of the above fixes the problem, you should consider rebuilding your T-case. PM me your email address for instructions on that.

I've probably forgotten something ... somebody else please chip in.

Good luck.

Last edited:
When 4x4 is seldom used, the Transfer Case can be cranky about returning to 2wd. Find an area of grass, gravel, or dirt. Shift between 2wd and 4-hi and drive 10-20 feet forward and reverse. Shift to 4-lo and drive 10-20 feet forward and reverse. Shift the transmission to neutral, then shift the T-case to 2wd and drive 10-20 feet forward and reverse. If you still feel binding as you drive, shift the Transmission into Neutral and coast for 20 feet. You may have to goof around and with T-case shifting a few times to get it back to 2wd.

Inpsect the front axle u-joints.

First thing I'd do if there's still any doubt about engagement is jack up a single front wheel and try to turn it. Put TC in 2WD, transmission in park or engaged if a manual. If it turns, you're in 2WD (this being a non-disconnect front axle).

If you're having trouble getting in and out of 4WD, make sure tires are evenly inflated and evenly worn. A little bit of difference goes a long way, especially with disengagement.

And of course, as others have mentioned already, check your front axle U-joints.

Back