• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link design help

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so after talking to a few guys last night and having them look at some things under the jeep, Im going with a 3 link instead of a Y link. Both the guys have built 3 links before and know quite a bit. My question is that I cant find, how much longer does you upper have to be then your lowers? My lowers are going to be about 22" or 23" long. So how long should I make my upper link?

your upper link should be around 80% of your lowers.

you want your lowers longer than your upper. when i first built mine i thought the upper needed to be longer and i had some serious brake dive i couldn't get rid of. after some research and talking with friends who run 3 linked comp buggy's they explained to me(after alot of poking at me) that i did it wrong. i remade all my arms and the geometry is dang near perfect now, on take off, in hard braking it made a world of difference. also make sure they are at the same degree, i didn't do that the first time around either and everything was way off on the link calculator.

i think my lowers are at 26" and my upper is at 19" i can't fully remember though. if you need i can go measure.

Last edited:
Thank you thats alot of help I thought it was the other way around thats great to know. I should be able to get the arms as close to the same degree as each pretty easy, as the bracket Im buying for my upper has 3 different holes for mounting. So I think I can fine tune it with ease. This will be going on my DD so I have to get it perfect other wise the ride wont be very nice lol.

I had great results with my JK arm swap, running it in 4 link ATM though... planning to punch out the axle side upper bushing sleeve to allow for 3 link useage...

rides way better than short arms and feels really controlled, and is way flexier than people expected it to be

they are 18" uppers and 22 5/8 lowers

ended up with a little more angle in the lowers than the uppers (only a few degrees) mainly due to space contraints

not saying you should go this route, just sharing what I found

this is about what I ended up with

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/ericfx1984/withcut.jpg

Do you have the 3/4link programs? search pirate4x4 for them.
I would model the 4 link or whatever you have now.
Compare that to how well it works and design your 3 link in the direction you want to go.

there is no magic number between anti squat roll center pinion angel and axle steer everyone has a different opinion what is best. Even what side the upper link on matters.
Then stroke the suspension in the program and see how the numbers react.

Is this for the front or rear?
Usually the suspension ends up going where it can fit and most cases the work well enough.

Also use the program to figure out what is the best place to add adjustment it is usually the upper link angle does the most for antisquat so make adjustable upper mount.

Your upper to lower link ratio is going to give effect your pinion angle change longer less pinion change but more antisquat change so it is a trade off.

But like I said figure out where you are now and which way you want to go, probably work best.

Back