• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 swap - breather hose/brake relocation questions

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping my D35 for a D44 off of an '89 XJ. The diff breather hose setup is different on these two axles. I know that I need to drill out the plastic piece on the D44, tap it and replace it with a hose barb fitting. Anyone done this before and have a suggestion on what size/type of hose barb fitting to use?

For the brake line, since the breather hose will no longer be running into the t-block, should I switch to a YJ brake line that doesn't have the hole through it?

It probably does, that's the setup on mine off of an '87. The threaded hole is for the brake junction and the plastic piece secures the breather hose.

The D35 I am replacing has a different setup though, the breather hose srews into the brake junction so there is only one hole.

I need to know how to plumb this set up to work on an XJ44. Maybe I can just enlarge the hole that secures the brake junction to accomodate the larger, hollow bolt from the D35 setup, then plug the plastic vent?

It probably does, that's the setup on mine off of an '87. The threaded hole is for the brake junction and the plastic piece secures the breather hose.

The D35 I am replacing has a different setup though, the breather hose srews into the brake junction so there is only one hole.

I need to know how to plumb this set up to work on an XJ44. Maybe I can just enlarge the hole that secures the brake junction to accomodate the larger, hollow bolt from the D35 setup, then plug the plastic vent?

You can do this,,enlarge & tap the hole for the breather / bolt. I had the bolt prt # but can,t find it. Also go to GoJeeps home page and look how to shorten the bolt so the oil won,t come out.
I did this on my D44 swap..

Sounds similar to what Yucca Man did here, except he didn't mention having to drill and tap the hole. He was going from an Cryco 8.25 however.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html

Guess I'll just have to try it and see, although if drilling and tapping is required I really wanted to do that before the axle was on the Jeep.

Can you reuse the Dana 35 breather fitting on the Dana 44?

That is what I did on my 99. I am not sure of the Dana 35 configuration on an 89.

I drilled out the existing breather fitting on the Dana 44 with a 25/64 drill bit. Then I threaded the hole with a 7/16"-20 tap to thread the hole. I also moved the brake lines from the Dana 35 to the Dana 44. I installed a bolt to close off the existing hole in the Dana 44 case. If you don't want to do that then ignore this message.

Ignore the stuff about the ABS and go to the third post of this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

Also if you do this you will need to shorten the brass fitting from the Dana 35 as it will hit the axles on the Dana 44.

Ill have to check and see what i did man. But I think the breather was tap, and then I reused the T fitting and just put a bolt threw it where it mounted on the axle

If I recall correctly I took the T off the 35 for the breather and brake lines and threaded the hole for the brakes on the 44 to match. I then had the old breather hole plugged and they put a tack weld on it so that it does not spin out.

Can you reuse the Dana 35 breather fitting on the Dana 44?

That is what I did on my 99. I am not sure of the Dana 35 configuration on an 89.

I drilled out the existing breather fitting on the Dana 44 with a 25/64 drill bit. Then I threaded the hole with a 7/16"-20 tap to thread the hole. I also moved the brake lines from the Dana 35 to the Dana 44. I installed a bolt to close off the existing hole in the Dana 44 case. If you don't want to do that then ignore this message.

Ignore the stuff about the ABS and go to the third post of this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

Also if you do this you will need to shorten the brass fitting from the Dana 35 as it will hit the axles on the Dana 44.

Beautiful, this is exactly what I was looking for. I love it when people remember what size tools they use! I starting reading the thread you linked yesterday then moved off of it cause I thought it was just talking about ABS.

The axle I am replacing is a D35 off a '98. The D44 I am swapping in is off an '87 so everything should be the same as the write-up and what you did.

Thanks again dude!

I did this swapmany years ago and I believe i just reused the stock peice and sealed it and tiewrapped the hose to the plastic barb fitting which works fine for me since mine bearly sees any offroad.

Back