• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj will not stay running

coryatkc

NAXJA Forum User
hello just bought my first xj last night.
its a 95 5 speed 4.0l to start the truck i have to turn the key to start then back to run for it to stay running but if i just try and start it like you would a normal xj it will die. The guy i bought it from call it is read neck anti theft device. at first i was like ok what ever cause i always wanted a xj and this one was cheep enough for me to pick it up. so thats what the deal is. thanks for any help.

I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler and purchased the FSM that covers both the XJ and YJ. The ignition switch on the 95 XJ mounts onto the steering column and is integrated with the key cylinder. It sounds like the timing (linkage) between the key cylinder and the electrical switch is off - probably due to wear. You can sometimes disassemble and refurbish switches, but it's a crap shoot. Rock Auto sells a replacement ignition switch for $25 plus shipping. If you decide to fix this yourself, you will need a tamper-proof Torx bit size 20.

I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler and purchased the FSM that covers both the XJ and YJ. The ignition switch on the 95 XJ mounts onto the steering column and is integrated with the key cylinder. It sounds like the timing (linkage) between the key cylinder and the electrical switch is off - probably due to wear. You can sometimes disassemble and refurbish switches, but it's a crap shoot. Rock Auto sells a replacement ignition switch for $25 plus shipping. If you decide to fix this yourself, you will need a tamper-proof Torx bit size 20.

Thanks thats a good starting point !
:cheers:

Back