• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LQ 4 6.0L & 4L80E ??

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Any thoughts on installing an LQ-4 6.0 L with 4L80E into a '95 Cherokee? I have read up on these engines. Sure, the 5.7L has more stock horsepower, but by simply changing the cam on the LQ-4 the engine is in the range of 400 hp with good fuel economy (reserve horsepower). They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive (given all the Suburbans and 2500's that are in the bone yards).

I was thinking about the 5.3L, then I thought why not the LQ-4?

Any thoughts on this?

My thoughts go like this:
Any Gen III+ V8 is going to absolutely slay it in a 3500lb Cherokee. Things like gas mileage, cam swaps, crank horsepower from one engine to another... seem irrelevant to me.
If you can make it happen, don't ever think twice about going LQ-4 vs anything else. I don't see how it could fail to please...

Agreed, if you have the cash and the resources go for it. Ive been doing some research on this build for a while now, except I was looking at a 5.7, I have a 97 so I'm dealing with the OBDII, since you have a 95, obviously your dealing with the OBDI. That makes the electronics battle easier for you man. Check out novak adapters if you haven't yet, and read up on what they have to offer. Their pretty informative and give you incite, and have a lot of parts that you will need to pull off the build. I'm guessing your pretty mechanically savvy if your considering this build, so I'd go for it man. But inevitably what I'm getting at, even though you have an OBDI, electronics will be the biggest hassle of the whole build I think. If you go for it definitely post an ass load of picks cause I wanna check it out.:thumbup:

Just be happy with your 4.9 stroker. Quit trying to come up with different replacements. :D

Novak makes all the brackets and headers for it, so I think it would be a 'fairly' easy swap. Electronics might be intersting going into a '95, but just use the GM PCM and wiring harness and you should be fine. A friend of mine has swapped a 5.3L into his TJ and another friend's YJ with no issues. A few guys on this site have done the GM LS engine swap, so just read up on their threads about what accessories and intakes and stuff to use.

Pretty sure you need an LS1 intake btw, truck intake manifold is too tall.

Just be happy with your 4.9 stroker. Quit trying to come up with different replacements. :D

That is just the thing, I am not satisfied. There is always the need (or want) for more. I have learned a lot about what the XJ is capable of and the mods that can be made. The reason I am not too satisfied with the 4.9 Stroker is the fact about the expense, the mods needed, and limits on the engine. The engine gets sh*tty mileage and there are limits with the AW4. I have taken care of most of the limits with the AW4 overheating issues short of rebuilding it with stronger parts (yes, there are rebuild kits out there). Needless to say, the adjustments and expenses never seem to cease.

In short, to shorten all the small adjustments, headaches and expenses, I think it would be better to start off correct from the start with a V8 & transmission package (as one developed unit) out of a donor vehicle.

As for the OBD I and OBD II questions, I would get rid off all the old sensors and wiring from the XJ related to the ECU. I would take the XJ instrument cluster and remove the stock guages and build a new cluster with after-market GM compatible guages (there are plenty of them out there). I would use the PCM from the donor vehicle and make minor adjustsments (tuning mostly). Essentially, it would be a Jeep with a GM heart & brain transplant. Yes, my last name could be Frankenstein.

All in all, I am thinking about building a sturdy platform with reinforced frame, D44 front, D60 rear with either an LQ4 or LQ9 engine and related transmissions (4L80E and 4L65E respectively) out of a newer Chevy 2500 or Cadillac Escalade. I should at least get the mileage of those vehicles with power, aftermarket support, and reliability to boot.

All in all, do any of these XJ projects ever really finish??

Food for thought.

I will post pictures once this beast is finished.

:explosion

Last edited:
The 4l80e is massive and might present some unique challenges getting it to fit without some floor and firewall mods.

A few relevant (or irrelevant) pointers might be found here.
;)

I was wondering about the fitment of the 4L80E into the XJ's driveline tunnel. I guess my initial proposed question should have been:

"Is a LQ4 / 4L80E (with 400 hp) swap too much for the XJ ?"

I am on the fence between the LQ4/4L80E and the LS1 5.3 with the 4L60E.

I do like the sound of the HD drivetrain though.

Definitely go with The LQ4/9 (difference between the 2 is CR), that is my plan in the (hopefully) near future. And even tho large, as they are more available, I am considering the 6L90E. My co-worker who does heavy line and teardown/builds say that the 6spd auto is 2nd best trans, and Allison is number one, only because its beefier.
I also plan on using the LSx style intake to help clear the hood.
IMO, LQ4 is not too much for an XJ.

I keep asking myself if the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you go LM7 or L33 (?) 5.3, you save a considerable amount of money over something more expensive, like an LQ4 or LSx. Once you get to the 325 hp mark, do you need to go to the 400 hp mark?

The hot rodder in me says "Of course, you idiot, more is better." But the guy with two kids and a mortgage wonders if the extra money is really worth it.

That is just the thing, I am not satisfied. There is always the need (or want) for more. I have learned a lot about what the XJ is capable of and the mods that can be made. The reason I am not too satisfied with the 4.9 Stroker is the fact about the expense, the mods needed, and limits on the engine. The engine gets sh*tty mileage and there are limits with the AW4. I have taken care of most of the limits with the AW4 overheating issues short of rebuilding it with stronger parts (yes, there are rebuild kits out there). Needless to say, the adjustments and expenses never seem to cease.

In short, to shorten all the small adjustments, headaches and expenses, I think it would be better to start off correct from the start with a V8 & transmission package (as one developed unit) out of a donor vehicle.

As for the OBD I and OBD II questions, I would get rid off all the old sensors and wiring from the XJ related to the ECU. I would take the XJ instrument cluster and remove the stock guages and build a new cluster with after-market GM compatible guages (there are plenty of them out there). I would use the PCM from the donor vehicle and make minor adjustsments (tuning mostly). Essentially, it would be a Jeep with a GM heart & brain transplant. Yes, my last name could be Frankenstein.

All in all, I am thinking about building a sturdy platform with reinforced frame, D44 front, D60 rear with either an LQ4 or LQ9 engine and related transmissions (4L80E and 4L65E respectively) out of a newer Chevy 2500 or Cadillac Escalade. I should at least get the mileage of those vehicles with power, aftermarket support, and reliability to boot.

All in all, do any of these XJ projects ever really finish??

Food for thought.

I will post pictures once this beast is finished.

:explosion
I'll take that 4.9 off your hands, y'know so you don't have to look at it...;)

I will be selling the 4.9 eventually. It is a nice setup with a Hesco cam and custom programmable Uni-chip to match the cam, custom TB, 27 lb injectors, etc. I will post it on here once I decide on the route I am going to take.

I haven't fully decided on giving it up just quite yet.

I am always "tweaking" things, so you never know.

You could add on a Boostwerks turbo set up...:D

I have thought about it, but I would still have to deal with the AW4. Plus, I think the turbo would reduce mileage even more and would be pushing the crank to the limit. But people have done it. Again, the LQ4 would be more simple and less expensive with the same output (even higher if the engine is "massaged" a bit).

What kind of boost are people running on the turbos with a 10:1 compression?

Just curious.

8 psi on a stock engine.

I don't know if you'd want to boost a 4.whatever with 10:1 compression. Your dynamic compression ratio would be very high.

Yeah, I think a turbo would be pushing it. Not just on the pre-detonation but also the crank. The pistons and rods are forged, but not so sure about the crank. Regardless, I think I will stop on the engine where it is at. As for size and power, there is a lot of potential in the old 4.0/4.9, but has limits as to cost.

Back