• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear ratios

Don't do even try, it is going to blow up.

Ever try the search button? It's been asked plenty of times before.
Ever heard of Google? It knows everything.

You could have found the answer on your own.

Wow...I guess when you have 13 whole posts to the OPs 2 posts you have the freedom to be a jackass.

Give the newbie a break.

How is someone supposed to learn if every time they have a little problem you just answer it.
It is right in the Stickies of this thread:
Sticky: Guide to Searching!! *Update*

That question has been covered plenty of times, I'm sure in 2 seconds on the search panel he could find the answer, instead of clouding up the forums with repeated questions.

If he brought back an old thread and said I don't understand that would be totally different.

And number of post has nothing to do with how smart you are.
Did you even try the link in my response?

Last edited:
A quick "please see the link" would have sufficed. You were nice in going the extra mile and providing a link for this new poster but you disguised it a bit.

Don't do even try, it is going to blow up.

Ever try the search button? It's been asked plenty of times before.
Ever heard of Google? It knows everything.

You could have found the answer on your own.

Wow...I guess when you have 13 whole posts to the OPs 2 posts you have the freedom to be a jackass.

Give the newbie a break.

X2. Simple noob question. A few hundred post into this forum and ask that... might need to rattle the cage a little.

bcjeeper- Welcome to the forum!! Always awesome to see new guys post up. Don't let guys like customcreationsllc try and run you off. The "SEARCH" function is your friend. I know i've asked many NOOB questions. Hell I'm still one myself.

you can have only 1 post and still know that search is your friend. What difference does it make if he had 13 or 13,000 posts so long as he had the right answer?

you can have only 1 post and still know that search is your friend. What difference does it make if he had 13 or 13,000 posts so long as he had the right answer?

Nothing wrong with telling him to search. Its all in how you do it. IMO.

taken from the sticky specifically for newbs

CRASH said:
:NAXJA: welcomes you to the best and biggest XJ information site on the web. We're happy to have you on board.

We have been in operation for some time now, and have developed a massive tech database made up of questions from people just like you. People who were not yet wise in the ways of the XJ. These questions were answered by the Yoda's of the :NAXJA: universe. All was well.

However, the :NAXJA: community has continued to grow. We now have nearly 12,000 registered users. All of them have questions about one topic or another, and more than likely that question has been addressed in the past. All of that information is available by searching the :NAXJA: database. The search feature is easy to find, it's right at the top of the page, under your name. It is an excellent feature, and will garner more information than you can possibly absorb at one time. Or click HERE

If, by some odd alignment of the stars, your specific question has never been asked (Has anyone ever swapped a rotary engine into an XJ? - No hits on that, I checked), feel free to ask it on one of our fine forums. Which brings us to a fine reminder:

There is much more to :NAXJA: than the Modified Technical forum! We have an OEM tech board where questions about non-modified parts of your rig can be answered by our resident experts. The Non-Tech board abounds with humorous anecdotes and general musings. One of our newest additions, the Jeep Picture Showcase is a bounty of pictures of various XJ's with various lifts from various manufacturers with various tire sizes and topped off with various colors. A perfect question for this board would be "Show me pictures of your black 1997 XJ with a 4.5" RE lift and 32" Boggers."

Wait, there is still more. Various Chapter sites have been set up for different regions of the country. They are well populated with friendly, helpful people who are just itching to help you with questions of local significance!

Remember, above all, :NAXJA: loves newbies. But even newbies have responsibilities, so please take the time to follow the advice of the long-timers, read the forum rules, and try not to be an ass-hat.

If you like what you see, and want to help support this site, we can always use your membership dollars. Membership info can be found on our homepage.

Thank you for your attention, and happy searching.
CRASH

I have always heard a 1% variation is acceptable between front and rear. That would mean you could run a 3.55 in one and a 3.52-3.58 in the other.

I have always heard a 1% variation is acceptable between front and rear. That would mean you could run a 3.55 in one and a 3.52-3.58 in the other.

2% on road 10% offroad is what the consensus on Pirate is, and I don't argue with them about gears:looser:

I'm all for helping one out but they just have to try to help themselves first.

2% on road 10% offroad is what the consensus on Pirate is, and I don't argue with them about gears:looser:

I never actually saw that thread on Pirate 10% I know a few guys run mismatch ratios like me for one. I know mud racers do it they say it keeps them on top of the mud better.
You can experiment with ratios as you wish gears aren't that expensive $200 and a night to throw at the jeep is nothing in the large scheme of things.

And you right tire size has more change in ratio just with the wear or tire pressure than 2% gear ratio that is about 1/4 tire wear.

Last edited:
The only way I could see it being an issue is if you have a full time transfer case and run a long distance on the road in full time mode. Still I don't think it would break anything.

The only way I could see it being an issue is if you have a full time transfer case and run a long distance on the road in full time mode. Still I don't think it would break anything.

True if you had a full time T-case like 249 or 247 which have the viscous coupler or clutch pack they would always be slightly engaged and would wear out.

The 242 has an open differential like open spiders in a rear end so there in is nothing to wear out in full it mode.
I actually modified a 242 shifter so I could have full time 4x4 low range didn't really use it much.

Do you know if anyone has developed a true 242 SYE yet or is still hack and tap? I'm a fan of the 242.

Any T-case in 2wd obviously would not do anything to the drive train until you put it in 4x4.

Now do I have you thinking?
~Justin

Back