• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Negative camber issue

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone need some advice because i have been getting varied opinions with a negative camber issue

2001 jeep cherokee
hp d30 front
8.25 rear8
4.5 long arm lift
33x12.50x15 kevlars

i put the jeep on the John Bean alignment rack up at school and even though i already knew i had a camber issue the readings just made it worse (don't know off the top of my head hat they were somewhere around 1* to 2*)

anyway after i touch every thing else up i was wondering do you guys think a good NAPA brand $70 dollar ones would fix this camber issue? right now i have cheap $27 dollar duralast ball joints installed.

OR

from what other people have told me buy offset ball joints to fix the issue. I really want to do this right because i'm getting my shop teacher on his off time so i can use the shop.

any advice would be very much appreciated

if your camber is that far off you knuckle ears or housing is bent. i know from experience.ihave used the napa offset balljoints for a caster problem i had on a comanche. but the will work for the camber problem. best fix replace the housing.

thanks for the reply...maybe i was a lil over dramatic about the camber issue...i don't think the housing is bent..but the offset ball joints worked well?

What is your castor set at,it can mess with your camber readings?

You can rotate the housing to correct the castor/camber issue but then you will have a bad pinion angle. The only true fix is to rotate the inner "c"s to correct pinion angle at the proper camber. The ackerman angle will never be right with a lifted vehicle without rotating the "c"s.

alright well i'm not looking for perfect, i'm just looking for better then what i have....so should i replace the cheapo lower ball joints with a good pair or should i buy a good offset brand

hey frank thanks for the input. So you think i should return the napa brand ball joints i have and replace it with the 2 deg adjustment ones?

i'm just thrown off as to why i never recall reading about a problem like this..(besides the axle housing being bent).something in my gut keeps telling me its the cheapo ball joints i got that is the problem..

i'll take one last look hopefully this friday and make my decision as well as get you those pictures.

Back