• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adventures in rear main sealing

crashbig

NAXJA Forum User
So I would like to thank everyone whos posted over the years on changing out your rear main seals. I took care of mine this weekend and it very smooth, mostly. I messed up the first seal by pushing it in with the little paper guide that comes with it. So quick trip to autozone and seal number two, lets try again. Solution, using a piece of drinking straw cut to make a guide, don't know what thread it was in but worked great. Second my tip of the day. When you get ready to seal the oil pan up make sure everything is out of the engine. I'll blame it on the heat or working upside down for so many hours but I left a damn shirt up inside that was keeping the oil from dripping in my face. Everything bolted up and started her and a prompt, whap whap whap whap whap sound greeted me, oh hell did I leave that rag up there.:flamemad: Three hours later after picking shredded bits of cotton out of everything and another trip to autozone for more oil, sealed her up and she purred like a kitten and no more leak. All I could do was laugh at least I got another story for around the campfire.

Last edited:
That is awesomely funny! Kudos for telling off on yourself.....in the spirit of sharing, I once broke my left thumb right above where it meets the wrist by striking it vigorously with a hammer when I was removing an axle on my 6-wheeler.

I had a shop rag defeat me one time I will admit it, it was nothing major just an annoyance at least.

I just got done wrapping up a long adventure in replacing the head gasket on my 87 supra, it was a long project, lots of waiting for parts. I finally got it done and was excited to start it up the first time, well the shop rag had other plans. Some how the rag was laying near a fan belt and got pulled in. It caused the belt to jump off the pulley, only problem is to get the belt back on I had to take apart a ton of stuff, set me way behind.

I was thinking about this again last night...and this is exactly why all surgical instruments and sponges are counted when they operate on people!

Hey crash, did you change your oil pump too when you had the pan off??

Great story...three thumbs up!

I have not left a rag anywhere recently, but last month I did manage to swap my TREs on my new Currie steering setup. Didn't figure notice that until I went to lube it. Yep, zerks were positioned wrong and had to redo the job. Don't tell anyone.

Changing my oil one time adn I didn't realize that the seal from the filter I was replacing had come off and I screwed the new filter on over it. Filled up the crank and turned her over and promptly pumped 3 or so gallons of new oil all over my engine bay and garage before I got the thing shut off.

Swore I would never tell anyone that story.

Changing my oil one time adn I didn't realize that the seal from the filter I was replacing had come off and I screwed the new filter on over it. Filled up the crank and turned her over and promptly pumped 3 or so gallons of new oil all over my engine bay and garage before I got the thing shut off.

Swore I would never tell anyone that story.

...3 gallons of oil? I am not sure what's better the seal part or that much oil was there to be pumped out ; p .

When I was hooking up my new tail lights on the jeep, i got something wired funny so whenever i used my turn signal on, the stereo flashed on and off. Ha, talk about funny...

Back