• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailmaster SSV's (shocks) & Rusty's leafs

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed after doing a search that Trailmaster really isn't used much or no one posts about it. I had a Trailmaster 4" lift done on my '96 XJ back in '96 and I thought the shocks were great. After all these years and well over 100K miles I am thinking I need a new set. Am I the only one that has these? Am I missing a better shock for a 4" to 41/2" lift? I say 4" to 4 1/2 because I need new leafs and I think I will get 4 1/2's because they are much cheaper from Rusty's. What about Rusty's shocks? I didn't read anything good? Are their leafs ok?

Thanks,
Curt

I've got DT3000s on my 4.5" lift and like the ride, Can dig out shock numbers if needed,

I installed Rusty's 4 1/2" lift this summer. I love the way it rides. The shocks and springs are pretty soft which is nice after needing a kidney transplant from my Pro Comp ES3000 shocks that were valved for a 1 ton truck! People freak out because Rusty's new leaf springs give about 6 1/2" of lift and pulls the stock shackle forward. It took mine about 200 to 300 miles for them to settle to about 5" of lift and now my shackle is vertical again. So far I am very happy with this kit.

Steve.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to get some opinions before I start spending more money. Looks like I could get new rear springs and some SSV's or well not sure yet on shocks. I may put back on what I had in the first place. I sure can't complain. Heck my shocks aren't even that bad yet, it is the rubber that is making noise, but if I am going to replace that I might as well replace the shocks being that they have over 100K on them.

Thanks for the advise. Any other opinions welcome.
Curt

I have Rusty's shocks, and the are pretty soft. Too soft probably. They're designed for maximum flex. I've had mine for 2 years, and havn't thrown them out yet, so they must be alright.

I used to run Rancho RS5000s before the lift, and those were much better quality (read: cost twice as much). The shaft is fatter than the shaft on Rusty's. The Ranchos were also much firmer. from what I hear Rusty's are the softest and Ranchos are the stiffest, as far as hydros go.

Stiffer shocks give more control at the cost of a rougher ride.

I don't know how they compare to SSVs. I'd recommend either brand, it depends on how you want to use the vehicle, and personal preferance.

Back