• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four Wheeling Lite?

NickDanger_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm on my third Jeep, but I've never actually really offroaded a lot. Screwed around in mud and forests and stuff sure, but actual trail driving is something I've only done once. I took my Cherokee up to Evans once a year and half or so ago on a NAXJA thing, it was a blast, but the typical stuff happened, some body damage and such.

So, my question is, what is there to do for people who maybe don't want to take it that far? Or, at least start out a little slower. I'd really like to get into the actual four wheeling aspect of my Jeep, but A) I can't afford half the stuff I need to really do a rig up right, B) I don't know how to do a lot of the work myself, and I can't really do a lot of trial and error on something I need to drive everyday, and C) None of my friends Jeep, and while getting together for NAXJA stuff is fun, sometimes it sucks being a total newbie. Not to say people aren't friendly.

Isn't there any kind of in between? Stuff that like requires some four wheel drive and a little bit of skill, but not maneuvering between tight trees and rocks? I guess the idea just came to me from looking at some pictures of guys in places like Utah and stuff. Maybe it's just the fact that it's more open and not in dense forests, but it just looks more fun in those types of environments.

Just looking for some schooling, maybe we have good places around here? I go up in Capitol Forest from time to time, but forest roads are so pedestrian, there has to be like one step up from that before you get to the real stuff.

Start by exploring old fire roads.
They're gravel, wide, and will potentially be slightly washed out and contain water bars.

Start by exploring old fire roads.
They're gravel, wide, and will potentially be slightly washed out and contain water bars.

I second that. Fire roads, logging roads, forest service roads. Lots of fun to be had, and lots of scenery. Just make sure your not trespassing. My brother drives up Green Mountain all the time.

2x tahuya. i was there this last weekend and had a buddy with a stock grand cherokee 4.7 upXXXXry on street allterains go every where.

Two ideas:

1. Noobfest. We have done several noobfests over the years (some much better than others). My concept of Noobfest is to show people with little or lots of experience how to wheel, what to look for, how to evaluate a situation, what to pack, etc. I could seriously put a noobfest on full time for a week and still have stuff to teach (maybe I just like the sound of my own voice, but I have alot of experience and I am pretty detailed). I have spent the day off road with several people who were wanting to learn more, and we usually find an area (reiter in the old days, tahuya would work, evans would also) that is safe and has some diversity in a hill climb. Look at the "lines" and see how the vehicle performs and why and what you can change (with your driving) to make it perform different. This is how you build confidence and experience. I would also recommend wheeling with someone from Naxja or other group who has experience who is willing to take there time on an appropriate trail. I can't count the number of times I have gone down a trail with NO damage and others come out with all sorts of damage only because this didn't take the time to get a spotter, or they felt pushed by the group.

2. Snow wheeling. Wheeling in the snow is awsome experience, makes simple logging trails difficult and you are much less likely to get damage.
Just make sure you go prepared and have tools, supplies for extraction and for safety.

Tahuya is a great place to get started also because there is more diversity in the area and it is relatively open.

Michael

Back