• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine temperture running hot on trials

Norsk62

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the issue. Going up a forest road near Carbonado in the Mount Rainier National Park yesterday, my temp gage kept climbing to 230 deg. I finally had to turn around a head down the hill to prevent overheating my rig.

Now before all the suggestions start flying in telling me to replace cooling system components. Let me give you the 411 on my rig.

1993 Cherokee sport. 4.0L automatic trans with 4:10 gears. 212k miles on it. I have owned it for 6 years. Over the last year or so it started running hot while towing my dirt bike over the pass or up steep grades. I take good care of my rig with regular fluid changes and flushes.

Recently I have replaced many parts on it, including the Radiator, waterpump, theromstat, cooling fans.

• CSF 3 core radiator
  • Heisco high volume water pump 8 viens, 30% better flow over stock, and reduced cavitaion on #1 cylinder.
  • Mr Gasket 180 deg high flow thermostat
  • new hoses
  • 3 thermostatically controlled electric fans with manual over ride at 1050 cfm.
all of this has been replaced over the last 8 months. The radiator seems to be getting good air flow, even with my winch up front.

So my questions are. What coul be causing the higher running temp only on hills, and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Have you tried to bleed the air out I parked on a hill in my yard with the front end up and took the cap off and kept filling untill the bubbles stopped I have a 95 4.0 also I run @210 all day it bugs me too .I have a csf 3 core and Im starting to think not so good of it after 3 years or so of all ways running hotter than I like !

205*- 210* should be your normal operating temp range when not modified for more cooling. So ...... in stoke form

Double verify your grounds, as they can cause incorrect temp readings. Like the man said, burp the system to get the air out. It tends to cause localized heating and bogus temp readings.

The transmission can put a lot heat into the radiator. Maybe try a extra inline cooler before the radiator transmission cooler. I have also used Redline Water Wetter I have seen it drop 20 degrees.

Back