• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Roof rack or tub - 89 XJ

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from a camping trip to Oregon where it became apparent that there's not enough room in the old XJ (1989) to accommodate all the gear that one now needs to go camping with a young family. Does anyone have recommendations on roof racks or roof 'tubs' (I'm thinking of the Thule style 'tubs') that fit the OEM racks?

Thanks for any advice.

My family uses the XJ for camping as well and like you after the first trip we realized it was just to small. Don't know how a tub type would work, might be kinda limited with what you can fit in there. I'm just about done building my second rack. This one is the full size of the roof. It can hold 4 large totes plus tents, chairs and canopy, kitchen sink and sometimes even the canoe. I've got an antenna mount, front and rear mounted light's which makes setting up camp in the dark nice. I'd go with a rack style but that's just what works best for us.

I just got back from Northern Ontario on a 2 week trip.

The only thing that fits in the XJ after the boy is in his seat in the back are a couple of coolers, some blankets, and snacks, toys, and coloring things for the 8 hour road trip. If the sub and amps didn't take up so much room, I guess we could fit a little more.

We use a 4x8 open trailer packed to the t*ts which works great. It was welded together by my father in law out of old bed frames, but tracks pretty good. Tents, Bicycles, 8 big totes, camp stoves, lanterns, axe, shovels, full set of tools (for the XJ just in case)

Need to leave the roof open for the boat.

I don't know if I'd have alot of weight on the roof, I've hauled two canoes ~150-60 lbs. and it made the ride a bit top heavy. I couldn't haul all the "necessities" AND two 16' canoes, soo, I made a ultra-light trailer for my boats.

100_0724.jpg

The trailer itself weighs about 300#
The boats weigh ~150-160
My gear ~ 300# (really, 300, I don't backpack anymore).

100_0853.jpg

Shocks & coils, sway bar, MASSIVE 12" tires.

000_0003.jpg

Rides better than the Jeep. Kind of a pain to haul around sometimes, but there's nothing but people in the XJ...and tools.

Back