• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to pull a transmission in dirt

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

I need to pull a trans and TC and I wanted to go to a pull and pick place.

My question is, the local lot doesn't allow jacks so how would you pull a transmission in the dirt with no transmission jack.

Would you separate it from the engine then drop the cross member or drop the cross member to tilt it then separate from the engine.

Just wonderin'

most yards have a rolling hoist for pulling motors. Pull the motor with the tranny attached. Then disco the tranny when it is on the ground.

Or get a couple of your biggest buddies and stuff one under the tranny to act as a shock absorber when you drop the tranny on his chest. The other can pull him out by his ankles. O, I forgot, you need to put a couple of six packs in each of them first.:jester:

I think Old Man has the best solution if it's possible. If you have to do it under the vehicle without jacks you're going to be really tight, and you won't get it out from under unless you take the TC and bell housing off while beneath.

I've seen some really raunchy junkyards (and backyards) where they would just tip the car over on its side.

the junkyard attendant told me to tie it in with a seatbelt, then find a inside door panel and put it on the ground as a cussion, then disconnect it, then slowly cut the seatbelt.... and it'll drop...... or look around for a used bullshit oem scissor jack thats inside the yard allready... he told me this as im holding my known good aluminum racing jack in my hand..

i left and found a junkyard that allowed jacks.... its not worth getting injured.
many junkyards have INSANE jack rules, never realized this till i needed to buy a trans. in my case, the yard down the street was cool with jacks, unless theyre hi-lifts.

as a side note... at the yard with strict jack rules... every single xj had its transmission... i looked before going to get the jack. at the yard that was cool, only dissallowing bumper/hilift jacks... there were only 2.... those dumbass yards are only hurting their own bottom line...

thanks for the responses.

yeah I understand they don't want people killing themselves with "bad jacking", but I think they put people in more danger by making them drop.

I think I'll pull the engine/tranny old man, that would make those infamous 2 top bolts easy too. That seems like the safest route.

Thanks again.

The trans I got was in a no jacks self service yard. I unbolted the cross member and then the trans. Put an old tire or seat cushion on the ground and yanked it loose.

The trans I got was in a no jacks self service yard. I unbolted the cross member and then the trans. Put an old tire or seat cushion on the ground and yanked it loose.
In that case you only need one buddy to pull you out by your ankles.:laugh3:

to old man post it would make it easier if you put a creeper under the the guy, that way it would make it easier to drag him by his ankles ;).

I hate to admit this, but at 6'2" and formerly 366 lbs I've been used as a tranny shock absorber...

Not so bad after the second six pack actually...

Back