• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM?

bayhunter

NAXJA Forum User
MY 99XJ was starting for last week, but wouldnt engage starter til the last 1/8 " of key turn . Today started the same way once then wouldnt start again. I can hear clicking in inside fuse panel. I was able to pop out cyl. by pushing a screwdriver into bottom hole in column shroud. I can turn ignition w driver and still only here clicking at fuse panel. All dash lights and radio come on. ANY IDEAS?"

Switches can and do go bad, and if you're in deep enough to see it, you might as well replace it. Might not be the problem, but I've had enough of them go bad through the years that it probably wouldn't hurt. Don't wait till you see the wisps of smoke...

Another common problem is the Neutral Safety Switch, NSS. These can also give intermittent non-start conditions that can appear to be the ignition switch.

Found problem. behind cyl. there is a white plastic housing that holds a cast cylinder that turns the electric switch part.The end of the cast is cracked in half .Right now i am starting by putting a screwdriver in plastic module.IS this a dealer item and what is it called?

In as much as the signals work when the ignition is on, and not when it is off, I'd have to say yes. Anything that works ONLY when the switch is in the ACC. or IGN. ON position is potentially controlled by the switch. Typically the contacts inside the switch get carboned-up, or melted from cycling the switch with accessories on.

Not to highjack this thread but I ask because my blinkers only work if the key is positioned just right. The switch is on the left under the multifunction switch (brights and left right turn lever). Is there anything electrical involved in the ignition cylinder?

If they (turn signals, anything) don't work When the switch is off then power or control is routed through it (ignition switch).

Well I fixed my flashers and it was not the ignition switch because I was consistently getting power trough fuse 12 (red) in the junction box. The ignition switch powers the entire junction box, i do believe. I had a faulty combination flasher relay. It worked sporadicly. I jus figured something like that would either work or not work.

Back