• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solution for stripped forward leaf spring nut on XJ?

ManNamedJed

NAXJA Forum User
Been lurking here for a while. Ran into something I could really use some advice on.

So I've been in the process of putting on a 6" Full Traction long arm lift. I've run into a series of issues and this is the latest.

The forward bolt on my driver's side leaf spring just spins. Either the 'nut' in the frame has stripped or broke free. Has anyone here faced that issue? How did you solve it? Can I drill a big round hole on the inboard side of the frame and access the nut? Could I just use a regular nut in its place?

Thanks!

Yes, yes and yes. I just did this 2 weeks ago. I used a 1.25"-1.50 (?) hole saw and cut a hole on the inside. Mine was cross threaded at the start so i ran a bolt through the back of it to get the threads correct again. If need be you could just put a washer and nut back in where the original nutsert was welded in place if it's falling off. You could also weld yours in like the original.

So you can access the back of the nut from the inside of the framerail? I was concerned it was trapped in that pocket between the spring mount and the frame.

Thanks for the reply.

So you can access the back of the nut from the inside of the framerail? I was concerned it was trapped in that pocket between the spring mount and the frame.

Thanks for the reply.

It is! Scroll to the bottom of this page and see the "similar threads".Also do the same for each of the threads,x1000 threads on this!

ive seen where people cut the bottom of that small pocket open and access it via that. i didnt have to do this and have never done it however i have seen threads with pictures that show it being done.

cut a hole in the pocket and stick a wrench on the nut, or tack the nut to the frame and see if it holds

another option is cut the bolt on both sides of the leaf bushing and then try to fish the remaining chunk through the pocket

you could also come through the floorboard

I remember one guy drilled a hole in the pocket just below the nut and welded it from the rear without having to cut large sections.

Thanks, I think I've got it solved.

Those of you who cut out the trapezoid shaped section below the nut, did you weld it up later? Or can you leave it open?

Thanks, I think I've got it solved.

Those of you who cut out the trapezoid shaped section below the nut, did you weld it up later? Or can you leave it open?

I shoved aluminum foil in mine to fill in the hole, then sprayed rubberized undercoating to seal it up. That seals it off from water, but I can always get back in there without having to cut again.

Last edited:
Back