• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any helpful advice for replacing hard brakeline on a '99

willsmysticcobra

NAXJA Forum User
Accidentally nicked my rear brake line taking the clip off where the hardline meets the soft. I ordered a rear soft hose from a 95 yj and disconnected and pulled out the damaged hardline as well as the stock XJ soft line. I am off all day Weds 8/31 and i`m going to run to the local Napa for replacement 3/16th line.

I noticed the small three or so inch line that comes off the brake fluid res, is in great shape, so I am wondering how I should do this..... Does the Napa carry pre flared lines that I can just via union, mate my small existing three inch line to the new line and just affix the new YJ line and voila? Or do I just but a random 20 or 25 odd feet of line, measure, cut and attempt to flare myself?

Thanks for any and all advice guys, I really appreciate it

yes NAPA carries the pre flared hard lines with the fittings already on them, and the unions to put them together. If you've never done a double flare before it can be a pain to get it right the first time, I wouldn't reccomend doing it unless you have a lot of time to practice. Plus a decent flaring tool is relatively expensive.

I would pick up a hard line from NAPA and union it up. they come in sizes 8", 10", 20", 36", 48" and 60" (oddball sizes I know, it would seem like they should go by standard 12" lengths but they don't for some reason).

You can rent flare tools (I think). The only other tip I have is- flaring is no fun. Get the best galvanized tube you can find. I got some tube from autozone that was coated in some green plastic coating. Nothing necessarily wrong with the coating, but the wall thickness varied enough that I couldn't get a good, even flare. Neither could the local motor machine shop- they told me to go find some good, USA-made tubing. Flare worked fine then. You will save time and headaches using pre-flared tube with nuts already on them. Just make sure you get the right style and size of fittings/flares along with the proper diameter and length of tube.

Also, get some real flare nut wrenches- or borrow them from the auto chain store if they have them. There is a reason they exist- stripping a flare nut sucks.

When I did my 8.8 swap I had to replace the hard line that ran from the rear brakes to the master cylindar.

I went to the Pull A Part and grabbed one off a donor. $10 and out the door. Easiest swap ever!

I did this on an '01.

thanks guys for the advice... it worked! took me forever to bend and form that line... but ya went right in.... the double flair was semi tough, and ya I had a pure steel line so it went well

Back