• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moddifing a ND alt system

myke_honcho

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first time here so bear with me.

My friend has a 93 xj 4.0
I am needing to know can the pcm handle being bypassed as far as the voltage regulation is concerned? We are converting an 88 motor to his new body. I was wandering if it is possible? I want to keep his internally regulated CS-130 from the 88 motor cause its nearly new. I know how to wire it in alrdy but don't know if the PCM can handle it or do I need to wire in a sensing wire to the comp so the pcm will function properly? In other words just bypass the voltage regulation on the pcm and keep everything else normal?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
You can bypass it and it will work fine, but it will throw a persistent CEL/MIL (I don't recall the DTC) on you and that will fail you if you are subject to periodic emissions inspections.

This applies whether you use the ND with a standalone external regulator, or you adapt the Delco. ChryCo put the regulator in the PCM - and if it senses that the regulator circuit in the PCM isn't having an effect, it will think the alternator is bad.

To date, no known "simulator" circuits are extant to fool the PCM into thinking it's still using its regulator. Can you get the ND to mount in place of the Delco? I haven't had an opportunity to compare the two, so I can't give advice - but I would think that that may be a useful option.

Back