• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get the tcase back in.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my 242 rebuilt and I am in the process of reinstalling the tcase. I lifted it into place until it slid onto the splines. It slid about 2" and then stopped. I now have about a 1/2" gap between the tcase and tranny. I have wiggled, banged, twisted and any other motion to get it to mate up to the tranny with no luck. I'm stumped. The tranny is in park, but I tried it in nuetral and in gear. (I'm pretty sure that wont make a difference). I have tried the tcase in neutral, 4 lo, part time, and full time, but for some reason I can not shift it into 2hi. I'm thinking that has to do with why it wont fully mate up. It almost feels like the splines aren't matching up, but since it already slid on 2" it seems like they MUST be lined up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's something super obvious but I'm so frusturated that I just can't see the obvious.

Sounds like they replaced the planetary with the long nose version.

Sounds like they replaced the planetary with the long nose version.

This wasn't a full rebuild, just new bearings, seals, and chain. I don't think the planetary was tampered with. I do have a RE hack n tap sye installed on it and the only thing that seems different (and this could be my imagination playing with me) but the flange that is mounted to the output shaft seems to be sticking further out. It appears like the main shaft isn't all the way in, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Here's a pic I just got off the internet. It's not my rig but it has the same hack n tap. I added an arrow where I feel the gap is now greater.
sye21.jpg

When all else fails, go with the BFH. I started hitting it with a hammer and it started going. Once I got it in far enough that the threads started coming through I was able to get a couple bolts on it and tightened it down the rest of the way until it was flush. So all is good. (I hope). I'm a little worried as to why it was sooooo tight going on when it wasn't that tight coming off. In regards to the flange being out too far; it was my imagination. I found and old pic of the underside of my rig and they pic looks that same as it does now. I think once you get paranoid about one thing your brain starts to get paranoid about everything.

Back