• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chips?

PDXGraham

NAXJA Forum User
well i am the proud new owner of a 97 XJ and was wondering if their are any performance chips out there for the ODB2 4l? my old XJ was a 90 renix motor so i just did the basic bolt on mods (4.6 ford injectors, TB spacer) now that i have a high output i wanna crank as much power as i can and if that can include i chip i want in :)

i also plan on doing a 99+ intake, header and downpipe and injectors. whatever the case tims cascade are my fave chips :laugh3::laugh3:

x2 chips are pointless on Cherokees.

I personally have used one of those hand help programers. The name escapes me now, but it was worthless. I noticed no performance gain and it made the engine ping. Dino had used a Jet chip and he said it helped, but then it went faulty and he removed it.

However, I have had my PCM reprogrammed and that has more benefit than anything Now so much as engine performance, but other items such as torque management removal, e-fan cut on temp change, cruise control usage speed change, increase idle speed and AC compressor off at WOT. The company that did this is no longer doing it, but perhaps B&G performance can http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/.

Dont waste your time on a chip. If you want power build a stroker. That's it.

then you need to get it turned... I was thinking you could run Megasquirt (and mega spark) to control it... it has an autotune feedback system (iirc... it has been a long time since I messed with that kind of stuff)... then you can dial it in from there

then you need to get it turned... I was thinking you could run Megasquirt (and mega spark) to control it... it has an autotune feedback system (iirc... it has been a long time since I messed with that kind of stuff)... then you can dial it in from there

I looked into megasquirt after I built my 4.7. I may do it one day, but I don't have the time now. It has been running fine, making good power for about 5 years now. While a good tune would help, you can do quite a bit just by adjusting injectors and fuel pressure, and getting the right plugs in there.

That is wisdom. The cam will do the most good.
Personally I run a stroker and a cam.:laugh3: I've got over 100k on the motor.

i dont have experience with the 4.0 mods (yet), but a cam and head work (porting) will gain you the most bang for your buck on most any engine. i have done head porting with a matched cam that has out performed stroker motors with stock heads and a performance cam.

Back