• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4WD Problem "Please Help"

R Berge

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings, I tried to engauge my "Full time 4WD" the other day and it would not show the "Full time" light. The lever pulled into position just fine but the "part time light was the only light on. I tried moving the lever back and forth with no luck. I decided to put it back in 2WD and the "part time light wuld not go out. It felt as if it were stuck in "Part time". It took about 10 to 15 tries before it would disengauge. Please help, I would like to fix this myself, but do not know if it is something I can tackle or not BTW 91 XJ 4.0 198000 miles.

Thanks

Ron B

On my '88 XJ, I had this problem around 200K miles. Topping off the transfer case fluids helped some, but I ended up having to yank and re-build it.

The light operates off a vacuum switch and may not actually indicate what is happening. My '90 does this all the time. I can tell it's in 4WD when the tires scrub when turning on pavement.
It's kinda annoying to watch it blink on and off going down the road.

You can ignore it, chase down the vacuum lines to the switch and axle disconnect to make sure they are OK, or tear it all out and install a cable operated axle disconnect. There are links to do it for far less money than the $150 kit offered.

The transfer case lever is mechanically connected - when you put it in 2WD it will be ( as difficult as that can be sometimes. )

I agree ith intrepid. I had a flat while in 4W and forgot to take it out of 4w when I put the doughnut on. It said I was in 4w until I got a fullsize tire back on. Seems kinda wierd..

As TiRod said, check to make sure the vacuum line connector is firmly seated on the vacuum actuated axle disconnect module. If the thing wiggles loose, it will give you a false report at the dash light and your axle will not engage or disengage.

Erik
88 Comanche

Back