• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Issues

So My rig is a 95 se 4.0 231 ax-15 and its like shifting a Harley it feels like the trans is full of rocks lately every now and then when shifting out of a stop it bangs real hard and other times I cant find gears ,Say shifting from 2 to 3 around 2,500 rpm pull out to change and 3 is gone for just a second then I can find it ? .Also I noticed when I was replacing my front driveshaft Ujoint that when the Tcase is in gear it has a little more than a 1/4 turn of slop and the front output bearing is wornout (moves in and out) I found one bad Motor (left side)mount so I am replacing that today to see if the vibes go away and if maybe the trans will work better .

Any help would rock thanx

I gotta ask, what type of fluid are you using inside the tranny? Have you tried using a full synthetic 10-30? also I will move this to tech section

Right on and No =( Im using Lucus oil 80-90 weight hevey duty but my rig has 220,XXX miles and non have been easy Im thinking instead of buying tires I will start shopping for a hackNtap and a good 231 Tcase and then have my 95 yj low mile trans and clutch installed soon .

My AX15 was feeling pretty crappy, though not as bad as yours sounds, when I decided to replace the fluid with some Penzoil Syncomesh. In cold weather with the old fluid it wouldnt wanna shift and would buck and feel like crap until it warmed up. With the new fluid in there it shifts like a dream now. 80-90 sounds a little heavy for a tranny I believe. Id try a fresh fluid change before getting into something requiring more effort/money.

Also, word of warning, that YJ tranny is gunna have a different, higher clocking position for the t-case and some floor clearance will most likely be needed.

Have to agree with the previous post about Syncromesh gear lube.
I replaced the Redline synthetic gear lube with the GM Synchromesh and there was a dramatic difference in the way the AX-15 shifts.

So what about them getting mixed in my trans do I just drain and fill with Syncromesh or do I need to clean it out with something? Thanx for the advise guys
Also WTB amsoil I dont do much in the way of online shopping .What about castrol gtx synthetic trans oil? is there other stuff I can find that should work just as good?

Last edited:
If you let the vehicle sit overnight, drain the transmission until it is only dripping out the drain hole; the residual of the old gearlube inside should be minimal and will have no impact on how the new gearlube lubricates the transmission.

Had the same issue with my AX-5. I had changed the fluids when I bought the Jeep at around 225K. Put Mobile1 75W90 GL-5 per the owners manual and soon got a lot of hard shifts. Swapped out to Pennzoil Synchromesh and had really good results. I didn't do the overnight drain as the other comments suggested but just drained the tranny hot and let it drain well until it stopped dripping. It will take a while to get the HP additives from the GL-5 oil to wear off the brass synchronizer cones still, so just shift easy.

I've got 335K now, tow regularly, and have had no problems at all with Synchromesh.

Don't feed the Ponzi scheme internet automotive forum lubricant trolls either.

I saw you mention Scamsoil. If you want a good high performance oil, Redline MT90 is where to go. If you look around on this forum, you'll see that a lot of folks swear by it for their AX-5s.

Well I got (scamoil) AMSOIL synchromesh because it was 15.99 and that was 60% cheaper than the redline I cant belive damn near 35 bucks a quart for oil holy cow .I bet its cheaper other places but I live on an Island so our stuff costs more.Ill be doing the drain and change Sunday and Ill see if 53 bucks on oil will really help I kinda think the trans is doomed but Ill keep High hopes

Yeah I try not use Penzoil because the engine oil leave mass build up and so I figure so does the rest of their oil .Thanx though also living on Whidbey Island most thing cast 25 to 35% more than the rest of Washingtons stores Because they must truck it over in a mini-cooper or a Bicycle .... lol

Back