• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump

Short answer yes. In the tank it could be a bad ballast resistor, relay, ground, wiring, ignition switch, or alot of other things. Why don't you start by giving us the basics of your xj, what the problem is, and what you've done so far to get better and quicker help.

i rebuilt the rear of my xj when i did the axle swap/stretch/rear frame build, i installed a rci fuel cell. its been apart for 8 months now. i hooked it all up with the stock sending unit in the cell, i have had several posts on here asking other questions trying to track this down. i have good spark wich rules out cps, asd relays and fuel pump relays are good, ballast is bypassed, cell is grounded, i jumped the fuel relay to get constant at the pump for my tests. when i pull the pump out to test it, it runs. no fuel in lines or rail.

If you disconnect the feed line from the fuel filter does any fuel come out from there? If not then I would say you have a bad pump. How do you know it's working outside of the fuel cell, can you put it in a 5 gal bucket and watch it pump water? If it pumps water out of the bucket fine try a smaller bucket and get the bottom of the pump/sender closer to the bottom to see if maybe when it's in the cell there's not enough room for it.

Sounds like the internals of the pump are shot so it's making the noise like it's working but it's not actually moving anything. Just to be sure but you are connecting the +/- to the pump correctly?

I do not know what type of fuel cell you have,... metal or plastic? Does the pump run in the fuel cell? The OEM fuel pump hav its own ground wire attached to the unit. Check to see if it is grounded properly and it is running in the cell.

Are you using a stock pump and sending unit in the fuel cell or the cell's sending unit with the xj pump mpunted inside it? If it's the stock sending unit try hooking it up to the harness outside of the cell and see if it does anything, thinking maybe you have bad wiring to the pump in the vehicle so it's not getting the power it needs.

Back