• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 options

HertzXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I'm in the process of purchasing a 94 4.0 4x4 2 door. I've got plenty of plans for it but the transmission is first on the list. You can move the shifter gear to gear but it's always stuck in reverse. Anyway, my question is: what other Jeeps can I take an AX15 from to put in the 94 XJ? Are they all the same or are there differences that will cause me to need one from another XJ?

Thanks for the help.

If you get one from 91-93, just use your current bellhousing and slave configuration and bolt the new trans to that. Any AX-15 will do.

Why not try to fix your current transmission? Either way it sounds like you're going to have to take the trans down and it's not impossible to rebuild them. There are a few fantastic DIY's that can easily be found through Google. Good luck.

I'm defintely open to rebuilding it. To my knowledge it's the original with 205XXX miles on it. I'll likely go with whatever option is cheapest. I don't need this thing to be drivable anytime soon so time isn't one of my constraints. Also, I've yet to rebuild a transmission and I'd like the experience.

How about YJ/TJ AX15s? Are the inputs and outputs different on those models or can I look at those too?

Thanks for the patience.

Back