• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring help. No turn signals or hazards.

ryan6838

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got a 96 xj and I am having woes. I have no turn signals, hazards or brake lights. Ive changed all the bulbs and cleaned there sockets, changed the hazard and turn signal flashers and changed the switch in the steering column. Still no signals or hazards. Whats next to check? I started to clean connecters and check wires for defects. Any help would be great.

fuses and grounds

I had checked all the fuses in the panel and none were blown. Anyone happen to have a 96 wiring diagram?

then check your grounds.

Ok so had to move the ground on the rear harness as old one was boxed in in the bed conversion. So made a new ground and still no turns or hazards. I thought all the fuses were there but maybe not. Anyone know what all fuses should be there and what other grounds do i need to check?

check the grounds that are underneath the headlight switch. you are gonna have to take off the bottom part of the dash, but it isnt hard. 8 bolts i think?

Ok so ive been looking at the 95 diagram as i dont have a shop manual for the 96 and it shows number 8 fuse being signals but i dont have a number 8 fuse. Theres not conectors for one there. Any idea if maybe i have a jacked up panel?

Oh by the way double checked all fuses in the panel are good and ground under headlight switch has one ground wire and is good.

So im at a lose, ive never done much electrical work. Ive changed all the fuses to make shore there good ( although i must have a short in the rear defroster because it keeps blowing) and i cleaned all the ground points by the ecu, headlight switch and back on rear drivers side. I want to get this fixed so i can start driving it.

5 bucks says you find whats causing the short, and you will find whats causing the headlight issue. have you checked the fuses and relays under the hood?

thinking my hacked up harness was the cause of my pain i swapped the harness from the bulkhead back, and bam popped the fuse again. I didnt have the switch or defroster hooked up. Any Ideas? Weres the relay for the rear defroster?

Well i didnt find the cause but swapped out the front half of the harness and got my turn signals, hazards and brake lights to work. Still blowing my rear defroster fuse but for now at lease i have lights to be on the road.

I also was wondering about the absence of my number 8 fuse. It's not there and number 10 I think is. The manual shows that as being empty. I have the same problem with the brake, turn and hazard lights. They all went out together the other night, my last hope seems to be the switch in the column.

it wasn't the Turn Signal switch for me either. This seems to be a common problem with no common solution. Did you find the problem in the wiring harness after removal?

Back