• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie who has done a TON of research, with a question

archimedes8989

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have researched xj cherokee's to death for months and months (so ive done my homework), but my question is more a matter of opinion, and I would really appreciate some help.

I have had an impossible time finding clean pre 2000 XJ's in Washington State. I've been avoiding the 2000 and 2001 models like the plague because of the famous head gasket issues. Am I over reacting by running away from them? There is a 2001 with 55k near me that is tempting. I don't have the skills to fix a head gasket issue so I'm a little reserved.

Thanks in advance for your help!

the head gasket is not your problem...0331 head cracking is the issue. regardless, get the 2001 and take GREAT care of the cooling system and more than likely you won't have a problem. if you do, deal with it right away...replacing a head isn't that bad. killing your oil pump and seizing your motor...that sucks.

it is an issue, but there are plenty of folks driving 00-01 xj's with the original head and a pile-o-miles

IMHO most of the 0331 head issues are internet hype.

sure some guys have problems with them, but a lot of people drive like assholes, so take it all with a grain of salt.

the 'rents have an 01 with over 100k...no issues with the head so far.

thank a lot for the quick follow up and input, I'm happy to hear those answers. I was sort of thinking it would be a ticking time bomb with no way of avoiding it haha.

My 2000 just clocked 200,000 last week, the head has never been off. Why didn't anyone tell me I was going to have issues! :helpme:

Not all 0331 heads will crack. But plenty of them do.

The #1 symptom of a cracked 0331 head is "unexplained coolant loss". So if you own an 00-01, your new hobby is to religiously check coolant level in the coolant reservoir.

And keep up with cooling system maintenance. An overheat of the engine virtually guarantees a cracked 0331 head on the 00-01 4.0 engines.

My 2001 is pushing 172k with zero coolant loss. You should be safe buying a 2000 or 2001, however, learn what you can about the previous owners. Proper maintenance and gentle warm-ups will contribute positively to the lifespan of any engine.

I just clocked 206K on my 2000 with no issues, best friend 150K in a 2000, and my Mom has 102K on a 2001......

I think there was some statistical analysis I read somewhere, on Dino's webpage if I remember correctly, that most of the cracked heads occurred before 100K miles. So if you can find a decently clean one with higher mileage, it might put your fears to rest on that issue.

I talked to a guy who worked for a Chrysler dealer for a while and he confirmed the issue is known to Chrysler, but in true Chrysler fashion they clammed it up. The issue occurred after the start of the 0331 production run and was resolved before the end, so not all 0331 heads will fail. Cooling is critical to the longevity, mine failed after I lost a lower radiator hose while driving.

however, on second thought apparently right accross the border from me in Oregon I also have the unique opportunity to own a 6 door 1985 chevy crew cab with 25 inches of lift :doh:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2552618740.html

This is a tough decision, as I don't think I would have to worry about the head gasket issue in the crew cab....probably a lot of other things though

that thing has more shocks in the rear than my whole jeep.....

I bet the ladies dig it though :roflmao:

Back