• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans help needed

wadellis

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 4.0/aw4/4x4. i recently replaced the motor and idiot me stacked the transmission pump. months went by then i found a deal on a rolled 99 with a lift and good motor and trans so i bought it wanting to just swap the transmission. now the problem is with the new(ish) trans, the torque converter feels like its stuck onto the trans input shaft, it rotates but it will not go in or off. with the old trans i was able to seat the trans all the way and cannot fit my fingers behind the torque converter and trans but on the new(ish) trans i can fit my fingers in there a bit. any help? i drove the parts jeep and know for a fact all was well with the trans. i can get pictures if need be

anyone? someone has said that the bushing in the pump may have turned, but how would that happen if the trans was working when i pulled it

Impatient aren't we? So you just switched the trans from the rolled one? Is the t/c the same size as in the old trans? Flex plates might have changed designs. I only have Renis era jeeps so no reference to look at. Measure both old and new units and make sure they are the same.

You say it will not go in or out. Could you have jammed the t/c in there without it being hooked in right? They are keyed to sit in right.

Back