• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal

cdawall

NAXJA Forum User
my 94 seems like it ate the rear main seal. so i am going to replace it and the oil pan gasket which also looks like it has been leaking. is there anything else i need to grab before i start yanking things apart is there any special tools or anything other than the rear main seal and pan gasket?

brass punch is helpful with a brass hammer, wd 40 for the new seal and a small tube of silicone.

Patience, beer and a whole Saturday. Try gasket remover, just when you think you don't have enough sag to get the pan off, jack it up a bit. That 1/16" vexed me for hours.

When the pan is halfway down, reach in and remove the oil pump and pickup. Always a good time to replace the oil pump.

Patience, beer and a whole Saturday. Try gasket remover, just when you think you don't have enough sag to get the pan off, jack it up a bit. That 1/16" vexed me for hours.

When the pan is halfway down, reach in and remove the oil pump and pickup. Always a good time to replace the oil pump.

will i be ok with 5" of lift it should have enough drop out i hope lol. probably not going to do the pump its working right now (knock on wood) and the $80 could go towards other things like finally getting rear shackles :p

Might think about doing the oil filter adapter o-rings too.
That may be the source of the leak, It was in my case.
(mines a 99, 305K)

I'm with Sleeper on this. MANY times RMSs are blamed for leaks only because they are located where any oil leak from above is gonna drip off the engine. This "shoot from the hip" diagnosis is usually from a neighbor, relative or friend who is not gonna have to do the job. Me, I prefer to investigate the rear of the valve cover, OFA seals and the oil sending units first.

Don't forget the distributor gasket as well. Mine leaked from there and also mocked a rear main leak.

Drain the oil, pull the pan and then let it sit overnight, with a sheet of cardboard under it to catch the drips.
This helps minimize the oil shower that will constantly drip down on your face. Safety goggles or glasses are a must.

I make a chart showing where the bolts and stud-bolts go, the same method used when changing valve cover gaskets.

While the pan is off, check the torque on the main and rod bearings. I found a couple of the rod bolts to be loose. It is also a good time to check the torque on flex plate bolts, if you have a AW4.

Since the started is removed, it is a good time to disassemble it for cleaning, lubing and checking on its general condition.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm

It's real nice not having the bottom of the XJ always covered with a oil.

Don't give up hope if you have a leak after replacing the RMS. Both my kid and I had continuing leaks from the RMS after the full day of replacement but they eventually stopped leaking. I sort of expected mine to leak since it was the first time I've done that job, but it was very distressing to see my kid's leak after being so careful with the job. It stopped leaking after a long day of wheeling and has been dry ever since. Welcome to the "RMS-Haters" club.

if in doubt... do the oil filter o-rings first... and snug the valve cover, easy enough. you WILL BE upset... when it leaks after a day battling the RMS....

also, it seems like some people just love going to the dealership... i am not one of these.... morris4x4 center has all the o-rings in a small kit, about $5. when i went dealership route, i only got 2, as the 3rd didnt fit anywhere.... why bother.

I KNOW, its excessive... but i'll pull the entire front axle and suspension to avoid fighting it... that oil pans is hard enough without bullshit in the way.

well i have a new axle that should be going in with a set of 4.88s in it so i am thinking that this can wait until i throw the D60 in my SAS'd ranger and i will take its D30 and throw it in this while i have it out i will do all the seals.

While its not a "STEP-BY-STEP HOW TO" there's a 2 part Youtube video on how to do this on a 4.0 in a Grand Cherokee with some really good pointers and tips that I've not seen anywhere else. Tips like making a shoehorn device out of a straw to insert the new seal as well as using a syringe to inject dishsoap into the seal channel for lubrication and make it easier to tap it through.

Back