• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK steering question

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
I finally bit the bullet after a steering failure on the trail last weekend and went with JCR over the knuckle steering setup. I know all about the cutting off of swaybar mounts, trimming coil buckets and hacking off the stabilizer mount.

What I want to know is who here runs an OTK steering setup (whether JCR or similar) without moving the axle end trackbar mount up?

I currently run Rock Krawlers double shear w/bomp proof mount which I think has some drop built into it but not sure, will check with them about it. I have 4.5 inches of lift and run a 3 link front end. The trackbar has 2 bends, one at the frame side near the mount and also one at the axle end by the bushing. I have spoke to Starboard on here and he said his OTK setup was fine even though he didn't mess with the trackbar, this is on his old dana 30 not his 44. I'm not to concerned with a little bumpsteer but if its all over the place I can try to build my own trackbar using the RK frame mount, heim, and the axle bushing, but can try to get some DOM tubing to make my own trackbar itself. I'd rather not do this though unless its absolutely needed, I might be putting on new swaybar mounts but its not an issue so far.

Any insight with experience on this would be great, like I said not looking to mess with the trackbar unless absolutely necessary. Thanks gang!!

I'd move the trackbar. I'm currently running the stock style Currie steering with a raised trackbar and the bumpsteer is pretty bad. I'm thinking you'll have the same problem with the opposite setup (modded steering, stock track bar location). It's pretty unnerving when driving on the road at high speeds.

I got the JCR axle track bar mount and cut a few inches out of my RE trackbar. Still using the RE double shear frame mount, RE joint, and rubber bushing and the bar still has two bends in it, but I took out around 2.5" right next to the axle side rubber bushing.

2011-07-23_18-12-47_873-1.jpg

Can anyone confirm if there are any contact issues with JCR's OTK setup and a ruff stuff diff cover?

As long as the OTK setup doesn't physically hit my stock trackbar mount I will most likely have to leave it for a little bit. If there is any bumpsteer worth me fixing the trackbar setup I will have a new mount welded up and my RK trackbar shortend.

Back