• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37s

J0NZIN

NAXJA Forum User
Any thoughts, opinions, facts, experience, advise on running 37s with Dana 30 containg chromo shafts and an 8.25, 4.56 gears locked......

You won't get far. Even with a high pinion 44 it can push it's limits. There's a lot of work to correctly run 37" tires. What will you be using the xj for? Mall crawler, rock crawler, big bear trails??

I'm locked front and rear with stock d30 and 8.25, 35x13.50 tires, setup and have had no problems yet, I do a variety of wheelin- anza burego, big bear, cleghorn....etc, and often do medium scale rock crawling, not very aggressive and pick lines well, so I'm on the fence about it.

Lockers and 35's can pretty much get you through 99% of all trails on the west coast; assuming experience is behind the wheel. My 35's have gotten me through every Big Bear trail, bullfrog/cakewalk, most of the hammers, the Rubicon, Moab, etc. etc. etc. I'm running d44's, detroits, and chromos front and rear and feel no need to go to 37's. My axles and lift height could probably handle the 37's but my driveshafts would have to be replaced. My biggest deciding factor is that I have 1/2" clearance when parking in the garage on my current 35's. If I went with 37's I would not fit in my garage which means I would have to wrench in my driveway which I'm not big on. I often have that thought of wanting to go to 37's (especially when wheeling with the JK guys on 39's) then it goes away every time I run difficult trails on my 35's with little issues. The only place I think I ever felt like 37's were a real must was up on Jackhammer(I think that's the name). That was the only time I have ever turned around on a trail. I know Vince (an XJ guy in Yucaipa but not a NAXJA guy) ran 35's with lockers on his d30/8.25 combo with no issues, but he was VERY easy on the skinny peddle. I'm pretty sure though that no matter how much experience and light footedness you have, 37's are gonna eventually kill your axles. My advice is to stick with the 35's unless you got some serious bling burning a hole in your pocket. Build the axles you have, stick with the tire size you have and go nuts.

Last edited:
Sweet, so I should build up what I got or go to 44s or a 9, I hear different things all the time, I know you said you were running 44s I think

I run a 44 now on 34s which measure out the same as 35s. I’m also running chromo shafts and lockers. I have a 30 in front and it’s been great. I’d run what you have though because the 8.25 is a darn good axle.

a D30 isn't going to hold up. neither is an 8.25.

I'd go with 9's for 37"s. the ability to go up to 35 spline beats D44 any time.

plus third members are cool :D

a D30 isn't going to hold up. neither is an 8.25.

I'd go with 9's for 37"s. the ability to go up to 35 spline beats D44 any time.

plus third members are cool :D

My rear 44 had 35 spline shafts in it. In fact, I am pretty sure they are stronger shafts than the ones in my rear 60 now.

what locker and shafts are you using? the only shaft upgrade ive seen is a 33 spline superior shaft and a few different lockers to match.

35 spline ARB for 3.92 and numerically higher gears - ARB RD109

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Air-Locker-Dana-44-35-Spline-392-Up-RD109-P3505.aspx

Almost every axle manufacturer has a 33 spline dana 44 shaft available. Most have 35 spline shafts available too. I had Alloy-USA shafts with Ten Factory spares.

Ten Factory part MG22137 - 35 spline dana 44 for XJ/TJ/YJ

The new Alloy-USA owners don't have the 35 spline shafts listed in the catolog, but as long as you get the proper brake offset any dana 60 shaft should fit cut down.

Any thoughts, opinions, facts, experience, advise on running 37s with Dana 30 containg chromo shafts and an 8.25, 4.56 gears locked......

I think it will work fine. 4.56 gears will be nice too with that tire size.

You're definitely gonna want to truss and go with a HD stiff cover to stiffen up the whole assembly.....that is, if you keep the d30. Probably regear as well to 4.88 and have them cryo treated. Even on 4.88's, may not be deep enough for ya.

Sweet, so I should build up what I got or go to 44s or a 9, I hear different things all the time, I know you said you were running 44s I think

Everyone says you MUST go with at least d44's to run 35's and I think that's not true. That is probably true with 37's, but a nicely built d30/8.25 combo can handle 35's if your not crazy spastic with your foot. I have 44's front and rear with my 35's, but that was simply because I bought the rig with those axles. Stick with your current axles and toss some chromos, 4.88's, and lockers and have fun. Take the $$ saved from new axles and invest in a roll cage. That is next on my list as soon as my t-case is fixed.

Everyone says you MUST go with at least d44's to run 35's and I think that's not true.

They do? Who is 'everyone'?

They do? Who is 'everyone'?

Me. I can't remember the last time I went out and didn't have D30 problems.. At the end of the month, I will be at $2600 into polishing this turd.. I regret every dime:dunno:

Edit: ignore the avatar.. I don't actually wheel!

Me. I can't remember the last time I went out and didn't have D30 problems.. At the end of the month, I will be at $2600 into polishing this turd.. I regret every dime:dunno:

Edit: ignore the avatar.. I don't actually wheel!

this guy has no idea what he is talking about.... he wheels a 5.9 ZJ.... :roflmao:

full case locker, IRO inner tube sleeves, inner C gussets, truss. is how i built my dana 30.

i think it would hold up to 37s.

but i have a light foot when i wheel.

my weakest point is my 297 shafts.

Last edited:
huh. i had the most polished 30 in town.

i wouldnt bolt 37's up to that thing.

huh. i had the most polished 30 in town.

i wouldnt bolt 37's up to that thing.

But Jeeper John said just put a truss on it and a thick diff cover and it is all it needs.

think of it this way alot of wranglers had a bigger turd a lp30 and that didnt stop those guys from reaching for the stars and im sure somones gonna say well those are smaller rigs true but they have the same drivetrain so the weight on front end is close enough
i went to a hp44 front and a waggy 44 rear because i had them or else i wouldve just polished what i had

Back