• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator

garr

NAXJA Forum User
First off I have used the search function & not found a good answer.
The Original Alternator on my 2001 XJ seized up after 140K, I would like to replace it with as little drama as possible (I want it to be a direct fit, No grinding or massaging the bracket) with an alternator that is not going to crap out after a couple of thousand miles ( The original lasted 10 years!, Why shouldn’t the replacement?).
I have heard good things about NAPA alternators, their website list a bunch of them for my truck, Should I get a rebuilt napa or a New Napa?
Or should I get an OEM unit from http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ for $173?
What do you guys recommend?

The best luck I've had was with finding a small local shop that does rewinds.

OEMR parts are usually cost-prohibitive.

Most "big chain" parts come from China by the CONEX box - and the "Lifetime Warranty" offered with their sale is a gamble (and I've long said, "The best warranty is the one you don't need.")

Mom & Pop stores usually do fairly well through their local WDs, but those parts are declining in quality as well.

Find a good local shop and use them. I've been dealing with mine for over a dozen years now, and I've yet to have his work fail (even on some of the nastier stuff I've had to work on!) The chain store may cost less up front, but the little shop will usually cost less in the long run...

After going to NAPA & looking at what they had I decided to check out the Junk yard, Where I picked up a direct replacement off a wrecked 2001 XJ that had 36K on the odo (what a sad waste of a low mile XJ) for $40.

Now does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for the old unit?
I would prefer an Up-build kit so I can get a few more amps out of it, I remember seeing in a thread where a member did this but i cannot locate it.

Before you sink anything into a rebuild kit for your old one, check the condition of the slip rings. When they get old, they can get pretty badly scored and worn, and if so, you're really not going to get much life out of the new brushes.

If the slip rings are just a bit dirty or scorched, you can clean them up easily and it's then worthwhile to rebuild or repair. The brushes are cheap, especially if you get just the brushes and solder them into the old holder, and I'd consider getting the bearings separately.

Before you sink anything into a rebuild kit for your old one, check the condition of the slip rings. When they get old, they can get pretty badly scored and worn, and if so, you're really not going to get much life out of the new brushes.

If the slip rings are just a bit dirty or scorched, you can clean them up easily and it's then worthwhile to rebuild or repair. The brushes are cheap, especially if you get just the brushes and solder them into the old holder, and I'd consider getting the bearings separately.

After a close look the old one has a cracked case, so no rebuild.
How it cracked is anyones guess?

Back