• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm Bushing question

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ that is going to be receiving some new Rough Country control arms both upper and lower. I want to replace the upper control arm bushings at the axle end while I am at it. I know it will be a pain which is why I am only doing the two on the axle since those will not be replaced when I swap out control arms.

My question is, are the lower control arm bushings the same as the upper control arm bushings at the axle end? I looked them up at autozone and they only listed them for the lower control arms. Thanks in advance for the help.

I believe so. Ask for the TJ upper ones. Same ones but a bit nicer sleeve i think. and yea they suck. Search around on here i think theres a thread somewhere

the lower control arm bushings are both mounted into the arms, not the axle. the uppers are moog part number K3128 and they come two to a box. since you're replacing the upper arms they'll come with new bushings for the frame side, that part number there should run you about 15 bucks and will be enough to replace the two bushings on the axle housing.

easiest way i've found to get the old ones out is take a hammer and a chisel and fold the bushing in on itself from the side without the flange on it. once you get the edges folded in start hitting the folded parts in the direction that would push the bushing out. be careful on the passenger side because the raised mount will flex and bend if you miss with the hammer. to put them back in push the bushing in with your hand till it will stay in place, then put a block of wood against the face of the bushing and drive it in with a hammer until the flange is flat against the mount. the drivers side may not seat completely, a little less than a 1/4" gap is normal. again be careful with the passenger side mount as it bends like a wet noodle. the flanges both should face the drivers side.

you can also use a balljoint press to push them out and the new ones in.

I used my AIR chisel on mine.Poped them right out.Had the job done fast.Took longer to get the tools and air in the tank than it took to do the job.I also have one i made for putting in the new ones too, i just bump the air chisel a little at a time to pop them back in.

Thanks for the part number mike, the wife cleaned my bench off and now i can't find the old box with the numbers on it.

I write em on the wall with a sharpie, got that idea from my dad :D there are still shop phone numbers and old chevy part numbers scrawled all over the back wall of my shop.

I did at one time, but my roof was bad and it flooded the garage.I had to remove the dry wall, my garage is the old house that was on this land when i got it.I have rebuilt it and now getting ready for sheet rock.I love working in the living room.LOL

My question is, are the lower control arm bushings the same as the upper control arm bushings at the axle end? I looked them up at autozone and they only listed them for the lower control arms. Thanks in advance for the help.

The uppers, both stock and on any aftermarket/offroad items I've seen, are smaller than the lowers. Both ends are the same size.

I have a 97 XJ that is going to be receiving some new Rough Country control arms both upper and lower. I want to replace the upper control arm bushings at the axle end while I am at it. I know it will be a pain which is why I am only doing the two on the axle since those will not be replaced when I swap out control arms.

i recently did this...

i typically go to auto zone myself but like you said, they only listed lowers. i walked across the street to advanced and they have the upper for under $20. they come in pairs, and the frame side and axle side are the same on the upper control arms, so you only need 1 pair to do the axle.

PS, mine is a '97 with RE arms. i swapped in a non disco 30 from a '90. got '97 bushings and they went right in. id be willing to be that most 30s are practically identical regardless of year.

i recently did this...

i typically go to auto zone myself but like you said, they only listed lowers. i walked across the street to advanced and they have the upper for under $20. they come in pairs, and the frame side and axle side are the same on the upper control arms, so you only need 1 pair to do the axle.

PS, mine is a '97 with RE arms. i swapped in a non disco 30 from a '90. got '97 bushings and they went right in. id be willing to be that most 30s are practically identical regardless of year.

Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for and we have an advance auto just down the street from autozone.

the upper bushings are all the same, supposedly the WJ upper bushings are a better design, but i've always used the moog number i posted earlier with no problems no matter the year.

supposedly the WJ upper bushings are a better design.

This.

Whenever I do UCA bushings, I swap WJ versions in. They have a better rubber construction and the bolt sleeve is an actual piece of 10MM ID tubing. No more stupid rolled plate thingy with dumb dimples on it.

This.

Whenever I do UCA bushings, I swap WJ versions in. They have a better rubber construction and the bolt sleeve is an actual piece of 10MM ID tubing. No more stupid rolled plate thingy with dumb dimples on it.

Well the looks like that is what I am going to search for. I usually go with the idea that if its gotta be replaced might as well upgrade.

Not to hijack, looks like Ben got his answer, but aside from being in there anyway and replacing the control arms, what would be the symptoms that would cause you to swap these bushings?

this is the one I swapped for someone last weekend, he complained of a clunk when braking and hitting bumps, and slight death wobble.

DSCF3749.jpg

DSCF3748.jpg

DSCF3750.jpg

DSCF3751.jpg

as you can see the rubber cracked and split, then worked its way out of the sleeve. it had almost worn completely through the arm itself from rubbing against the mount on the axle and the metal sleeve of the bushing. i replaced the arm as well.

the rubber eventually dries out and cracks, letting the inner sleeve move around inside it.

Grimm-How many years and miles got them to that stage of wear? I typically find them to be annoyingly soft at about 140k miles, when stuff starts to move around, especially on diagonal seams or one-wheel bumps in the road.

jeep had 192k on the clock. this was a customer's new to him xj he'd only had it for two weeks. it was a 92.

Not to hijack, looks like Ben got his answer, but aside from being in there anyway and replacing the control arms, what would be the symptoms that would cause you to swap these bushings?

I have 210,000 miles on the original bushings with 135,000 of those miles with it being lifted and taken off-road abuse. I am replacing all the arms and I figured might as well do it while I am in there so that everything is fresh and new and in top shape. Also I have had a clunk coming from underneath when I hit bumps and I have checked everything else and it all checked fine or has been replaced at some point along the way. I am hoping that these are my cause.

Back