• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Copper-Nickel Alloy brake lines review

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
SUR&R Brake lines (made in US) Or Cunifer (imported EU) Same Alloy

Brief description:
These brake lines are a Copper- Nickel mix that is easily bendable by hand.
The alloy was designed in Europe to resist rust and corrosion that plagued European vehicles.
Manufacturers using this alloy for brake lines: Aston Martin, Porsche, Volvo and Audi.

Cost: At time of purchase I paid 10$ more than for my roll of 25’ than the cheapest steel line available on amazon.

Review:
I was really impressed with the ability to form. When I did this I was worried about kinking but judging by the pretzel picture I don’t have anything to worry about.

Bending: When I bent my lines I did not touch my steal line bender at all. For gradual bends you can slide your hand down the line and it forms as you go. I tried to do that as much as possible instead of just straight bending. What you can’t see is the almost 90* bends on the other side of the link mount also done by hand.

Flaring: When flaring the lines I used my 12$ made in china flaring tool everyone hates so much.
Flaring was smooth and no cracks formed. The flares look great.

pro The biggest beauty of these lines is you don't have to get the bends absolutely perfect first time. I can still mold mine to get it where I want it. If you've ran steel lines you know how great that would be.

Cons: though reassured that they’re more resistant to crushing than the steel lines by the company and the additional info page below. I just don’t see how that’s possible with such a malleable metal. I guess we'll see :D

Bonus: They don’t rust! Though I don’t think I’ve had that problem before :D

Disclaimer: These lines were run in no more than 15 minutes including flare time. Yes I know I need to tighten the bends I was just really curious of how well they would bend. I need a solution for securing it to the axle tube. Yes it’s not centered by an inch, sue me :p.

Additional information http://www.copper.org/Applications/automotive/hydraulic_brake_tube.html
This is 3rd party info not manufacturer.

IMG_20110816_203420.jpg

IMG_20110816_203749.jpg

IMG_20110816_203810.jpg

IMG_20110816_203758.jpg

ce59d4c1.jpg

Last edited:
sounds interesting, will have to look in to it.

on the other hand, i have bent many steel lines by hand(and a small wrench) with no problems. flaring was a PIA last time with steel lines, but it may have been complicated by brake fluid oozing out the whole time.

Back