• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 on it's way out?

mike919

NAXJA Forum User
Just changed the oil in my D35 for the first time that I know of in it's 200,000k life. I now have a growling noise from the rear end on deceleration. The noise comes and goes, always immediately disappears with a little gas. Am I correct in assuming that I've totally screwed this thing and that catastrophic failure is imminent? I'd like to make it ~500 miles round trip to the beach, with maybe five miles of sand travel. 4.5" lift, 33x12.50x15s...

A 8.8 is in my near future, but definitely not happening by Friday...

Thoughts?

At risk of asking how long a string is, what are the potential problems riding with a worn pinion ring?

Will the diff explode into a million pieces? Will it just make a really terrible noise?

I'm trying to gauge the risk of driving this thing for 500 miles...

Thanks!

Meh, who cares if he clutches wear a bit.

I have found my lsd locks up better without additive

It should last the trip, just go easy on it, and start looking for your 8.8

Catastrophic failure is always imminent with a D35! :D

Only reason why my stock non-c clip Turdy5 failed was I got water in the diff. Current newer c-clip Turdy5 (free) has over 100k on it and works just fine.
You saw it at big bear and gets to the local dunes semi-frequently. No issues.

Only reason why my stock non-c clip Turdy5 failed was I got water in the diff. Current newer c-clip Turdy5 (free) has over 100k on it and works just fine.
You saw it at big bear and gets to the local dunes semi-frequently. No issues.

i'm quite sure he was joking(mostly). the d35 can and does run just fine under many rigs. i'm still running mine with 31's and it has held up fine so far. but, it does have it's limits. and, IMO, if you are looking at doing any regearing or installing a locker it just isn't worth it in a d35 when other much stronger axles are relatively easy to find.

i want to regear to 4.10 and lock the rear end, which is why i have an 8.8(with 4.10s already) waiting to be swapped in.

the additive is actually designed to make it slip more...

Yeah, the friction modifier makes it easier for the fibres to slide on one another. Running without it makes them stick more, likely making them wear more when they do slip. I run no additive in my 8.8 without issues.

Its a D35, who cares if the clutches wear out, it will go boom before then.

I used to think the D35 hate was uncalled for too, until a friends D35 sh!t the bed, ending the weekend.

Back