• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie with a 0331 head!!!!!

lofin0704

NAXJA Forum User
So I have used this forum ALOT and now I have a question. I know there are hundreds of post about the 0331 head but I am trying to decide which head to buy. Advance Auto has a reman head for $380 and I found Alabama cylinder head for $510. Does anyone know about the rebuilt from Advance? The XJ has 201K on the clock so I think we did well on the 0331 head. Electric fan came apart on a road trip and I pushed it a little too far with just the mechanical fan, got a little hot and now I have the dreaded green line inside the oil fill cap. SOOOO, any thoughts on which way to go. No I dont want a stroker(yet) its the wifes DD so Im just wanting to get a few more miles from it.

are you sure that it is the head and not the head gasket?

not really sure what head is better but you could probably find one in a junkyard for a couple hundred $$$$.

Good luck

Do NOT install another 0331 head from a salvage yard UNLESS it is a 2003 or newer with the word "TUPY" stamped on the head (in the cylinder 3-4 area). You don't want a repeat of what you are experiencing.

If you can see antifreeze seeping through a crack through the oil filler cap, your head is toast.

I know nothing about Advance Auto heads. I do know that the heads from both Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head are excellent and have helped many 0331 head owners. I would definitely go this route.

Back