• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion shaft and roller pin question

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I got the Aussie locker in tonight and ran into a potential issue reasssembling.

I got the pinion shaft back in with no problem and when I put the roller pin in, I couldn't get it fully in.

So, the roller pin is only partially into the pinion shaft. The pinion shaft has lateral movement of about 1/8 - 3/8 inch.

I tried to drive the roller pin back out and it won't come out.

So, will I run into any issues with the roller pin where it is and movement with the pinion shaft?

Other ideas to pop the roller pin out?

Thinking about getting a new roller pin and driving it in the other side and securing the pinion shaft more fully.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and opinions.

I would fix that immediately unless you feel like replacing gears soon. That cross shaft should have no play. And its always a good idea to use a new roll pin when re installing you shouldn't reuse the old one.

Also, why can't you get it out? Put something small enough in the hole on the opposite side, tap it with a hammer and viola

Any idea where to get roller pins? I called around and none of the stores around me keep them in stock.

NAPA, Advance, and Pep Boys don't carry them.

The Auto Zone "allegedly" has one. He was kind of funny to talk to.

I asked him for a roller pin for a Dana 30 front axle carrier. He said, "I don't know what any of that means." I explained what it was and he started asking me questions.

First, what year is the vehicle. Valid question. I told him the axle is from an 86 but it is in an 01 and the pins are universal. Then he asked me if it was a 4 wheel drive. Well, yes, it is...that is why I have a front carrier. Then he asked if it is a 6 or 8 cylindar. I told him they only made a 6 and he argued, nope the computer said they offerd both. I corrected him asking if he was looking at the Grand Cherokee. He was.

EDIT: Auto Zone has one in stock and they are holding it for me. Off to the parts store at lunch time.

Last edited:
You're talking about a roll pin, if i'm not mistaken. Everyone has those, but nobody will be able to look something like that up. You need to take your old one in and match it up. I know Autozone carries them in the blister packs in the "Help!" section. Hardware stores prolly have them too.

Roll pins blow. Tap the carrier out to use a threaded bolt/pin like in D35/8.25's.

Just put my aussie into my 8.25 Saturday. The threaded bolt is easy peasy. I had completely forgotten how silly the d30 is with it's roll pin until now. I remember now that the roll pin I tried ended up mushrooming when driving it back in. Ended up pulling it and shoving something in there.....don't remember what.

You're talking about a roll pin, if i'm not mistaken. Everyone has those, but nobody will be able to look something like that up. You need to take your old one in and match it up. I know Autozone carries them in the blister packs in the "Help!" section. Hardware stores prolly have them too.

You are correct. Found some in the Help Section and the carrier is back together and ready to go into the axle tonight!

Back