• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom trackbar bracket alignment?

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
Before anybody says this, yes I'm gonna email Andy right after this. A while back after I put on my Iron Man adjustable track bar, I realized the original stock bracket just was a mess and I couldn't keep a good tight on it with the drilled-out bolthole and the double-sheer conversion bracket, so I had Andy fab me up a replacement bracket. Well, that was a long time ago, like, last fall, and life got in the way of me actually attaching the darn thing until now.

So, I get the stock bracket off, slap in the new bracket, and go to put the bar back in, and discover that they dont line up. The track bar is about 2 inches to the rear of the bracket center. At first I think this is 'cause the axle has shifted when I removed the stock bracket, so I jack on the axle to push it forward... but no, there's some change but not that much.

Then I start looking and realize the actual location of the bracket "space" is about that far forward in the new bracket from where the D-S adapter hung from the stock bracket. Pics:

new-trackbar-bracket-alignment.jpg

old-trackbar-bracket.jpg

So, here's my question: If I even CAN get this to go in, is it going to be binding too much for it to work properly? Will I be causing more harm than good? I'm thinking he must have fabbed it thinking I had adjustable control arms to push the axle forward, but I don't, I have the non-adjusting ones that came with my RC kit.

I'm thinking my other option is to find somebody with a welder to weld the D-S adapter to the old bracket temporarily (thus solving the tightness issue which is giving me the Dreaded Death Wobble), and then hold onto the new bracket until I can afford adjustable control arms.. but I'd love to hear other ideas!

Um, maybe clear your cache? They look normal to me.

Anybody?

still looking for help on this one. Surely somebody on here can help with "proper" geometry of the track bar/axle relationship?

I emailed you back about this. The bushings I use for the track bar dont mind a bind but I think you will find when you set the vehicle back on the wheels sitting at ride height and mount it from the frame side first it will work better.

The bushings are poly graphite. They don't need grease. some folks just insist on grease fittings so I put them in. Over greasing them will actually make them more prone to fail.

Thanks
Andy

Yah I am with Andy on this one set it back one the ground on its own weight and try bolting it up and u should have better luck with lining it up. As the suspension droops like how you have it jacked up like that, the axle actually swings rearwards.

Just to follow up - Andy emailed me back, made me laugh too. He assured me the bushings & bar can take the torsion. With some effort (and a big piece of pipe) I was able to pry the axle & bar far enough forward to get into the bracket. It is definitely throwing some tension into the mounting, and I can tell I'll need to get adjustable control arms real soon. However, the new double sheer bracket kicks mighty a** and the rig is now fully driveable without feeling like I'm gonna die from hitting a bump at 30mph. Rockin!

Back