• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front crossmember and framerail repair?

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So im picking up a '98 4 door that has been in a front end crash and the factory crossmember is bent as well as the first foot or so of the drivers side unibody rail. How would i go about fixing this? can i cut out the crossmember and get one from the junkyard and weld it in?

If you guys have any ideas please let me know. Ill add some pics when i get the jeep back to my house.

Thanks in advance
-Garrett

So im picking up a '98 4 door that has been in a front end crash and the factory crossmember is bent as well as the first foot or so of the drivers side unibody rail. How would i go about fixing this? can i cut out the crossmember and get one from the junkyard and weld it in?

If you guys have any ideas please let me know. Ill add some pics when i get the jeep back to my house.

Thanks in advance
-Garrett

are you fixing it for the road or for the trail?

if it is for the road I would take it to a pro...

if it is for the trail I would hook it up to a tree and use a come along to even it out

factory crossmember is bent as well as the first foot or so of the drivers side unibody rail.

First thing I would do is check your registration.....If the crash was that bad the previous owners insurance would have most likely totaled it and it may have a salvage title now. Which opens up a whole other can of worms so I am told.

Most body shops will not fix(pull out) that much damage as it is a uni-body rig. It will never be the same. Not saying no one will but most will say it is totaled.

But yes you can repair it by cutting out the old and welding in the new..HOWEVER...remember that if NOT done right(not questioning your abilities) it will fail as that whole section is part of the frame(uni-body) structure as well. Makes me question the rest of the structure if it destroyed a foot worth of uni-body already..

But......if it going to be a trail rig only(trailer queen) I say go for it but remember the bumper and winch(if it will have one) will have alot of strain on that area when used. So beef it up....Don't forget to beef up the power steering gear box to as that area is in the 1' range you specify.

Its going to be a daily driver and a weekend wheeler, but the previous owners did not repot it to the insurace company because the payments would have gone up (thats the reason they sold it) and as far as cutting out and replacing it, i do have easy access to everyhting from hand tools to cnc lasers, tig welders and even ress brakes. Im thinking at this point im going to straighten it as much as possiable to fit another crossmember in there and at the same time plate the entire unibody (or as much as i can from the engine mount forward

So here are some pictures of the damage...

xd6ck.jpg

ej973o.jpg

25plegk.jpg

Garret, I would cut out the stock cross member and take it to a professional and have him pull the drive side as much as possible without stretching the metal. Then make a new cross member out of 2x6x10g and then put on a high quality bumper and then start collecting frame stiffeners. PM me if you need help with any of this.

Go for it. Invest in a port a power. That is not to bad. Dont cut anything off til you start straighting it. After its straightened cut the parts off the weld in new or used parts.
Ron

well it looks like my uncle is going to get me a deal with his buddy at a frame shop for $200 to do it on a frame jig!

Back