• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting my new stroker in. Quick question

lucky14

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in my stroker (see my knocking on heaven's door thread- borken piston skirt after fixing the flexplate!)

Overbored just under 4.00, 3.98 grind on the stroker crank to make roughly just under 3.04 CI, head is decked, Comp cam 753905, I have a banks header, high vol oil pump, flow cooler high vol water pump, had the macine work done on the block and crank at a machine shop that I do business with in VA. They do NASCAR team prep for the Richmond Race . I used to live there and they have done 4 or more 242/258/150 and 350/383 engines for me. So I went with the known quality. I had a buddy dropped off a good core I had at his place and I met him half way with it when it was done.

I put some brown dog mounts in with it today at work. I started at 8:30 had the engine out by 10:30, parts off and cleaned up and getting swapped back on by near 1, and the engine in and bolted in to the trans and mounts around 3. I have it about 100% just need to connect the alternator, starter, rear 02, bolt up the trans lines to the oil pan, the two upper torx bell housing bolts.

The only problem I have run in to is the idler pulley that is made into the AC bracket looks like it might be toast to match the locked up AC compressor (had be disconnect and open to the elements since I have had the XJ since march). The last thing I started to do before the shop got locked up was put the mechanical fan on. The pulley wasn't sitting flush- it was cockeyed. I looked at the old 4.0 and the pulley had worn a groove into the timing cover.

Anyone know of hand if you can get parts to service that idler pulley. Looks like the shaft is either pressed into the bracket or has a snap rig perhaps? Quick rock auto search only shows the tensioner pulley (they call it an idler) and quick searching on the WWW didn't find anything.

I know I get a new bracket for about 200 bills off the net. Anyone ever try fixing the pulley shaft?

Back