• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier not coming out

Four2score

NAXJA Forum User
D30, Axles are out, Bearing caps & yoke end free but carrier not coming out. Am I forgetting something or how does one slip the carrier out of the housing when it gets a bit sticky?

TIA

i put a rag in to mesh between the gears, then turn the pinion with a big wrench to feed the rag into the gears.... it usually pops right out...

you can use a big prybar too... just be carefull of gear teeth if your reusing them.
ive also seen them strapped to trailers... then they use the winch to pull it straight out... can provide a pic if youve got a trailer and all that.

I use the rag method as well, works like a charm. Just make sure its not one you want to keep as it will get mangled as it gets pulled into the gears.

Put the caps on loose so it doesn't fall on your toes. Or on your face if your working on your back i suppose.

Keep working at it. Pry bars, rags, etc. Mine took a few tries till I got it out when I installed a Spartan.

Well I used the rag method as it wasn't budging with a 4 ft. crowbar. The left side came out about 1/2 inch until the teeth were not meshing any longer. Now it is cockeyed and won't even turn. I've never had this much trouble getting a damn carrier out of a pumpkin. Ever!

Stuck as to what to do now.... :mad:

Matt, what's a case spreader? You gots one????

if only one side wants to come out... then it gets XXXX-eyed and wont go any further... rock it back and forth, tap it back in with a hammer... then pull it again, any movement of the carrier will help unstick the other side... youve so close i bet you can smell victory.

Got it!!!!! :yelclap:

Thanks man!

I took that crowbar and slammed it with all my 250 lbs of weight, and after about a dozen times it inched its way out millimeter by millimeter!

Whew!!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

:party:

glad you got it worked out, i should correct my last post... dont use a hammer... use a mallet, or use a wood block... hopefully this is obvious =)

I put a pile of foam in a platsic tote under the diff and used a ratcheting tie down strap around the middle of the carrier and hooked both ends up to a solid place under the bumper.
Got it snug, tap tap tap. both sides. Snug it up, tap tap tap. Snug it a bit more, tap tap tap and out it came. no wacking and no grunting.

Back