• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 xj coolant system

rlpetty43

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on my 91 xj and I discovered the tube from the coolant resavoir is not conected, this is a closed system (no rad. cap) I found the tube hanging down behind the ac compressor I have not located where it connects to the coolant system, i am used to seeing it conecting to the neck of the radiator but the tube is not long enough to reach that and the is no spud there to connect it to. thanks for the help.

What part of the bottle is it coming from, top or bott.?

Doesn't make sense that a hose is unhooked and no coolant is blowing all over the enghine bay, if it is a closed system.
picture.php
picture.php

your 91 should not have the closed system, that ended with the renix era XJs. it seems that someone put an earlier radiator and coolant tank in it at some point... although I can't think of why they would do that lol. if it is coming off of the tank on the right in your picture ignore it as that overflow tank is not being used at all right now.

Im not real familiar how a closed system works. my jeep is over heating, I pulled the top hose off the radiator and the radiator was bone dry, how does the closed system draw coolant from the resavoir?

First are you *SURE* it's a 91? As noted earlier 91+ are all open systems.

The tank on the firewall is not a "reservoir" like in an open system. It's an expansion tank. It's under the same pressure as the coolant everywhere else. Some people put a filler neck adapter into the upper rad hose and connect the overflow tank as a cheapo conversion to open.

what would keep it from drawing coolant from the expansion tank cause when I remove the upper hose from the tstat housing the radiator was dry
I plan on giving it a good flushing just have not got around to it yet its not a daily driver so I am not in a hurry

Back