• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

first time jeep owner with pics and questions.

matt2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
just bought her today, 2000 cherokee classic, with 112,000 miles.
mi2lfp.jpg

21dpi8m.jpg

15ryveu.jpg

jgjt6f.jpg

now for the problems. i know how to fix the passenger side window problem, but it seems that my front passenger side speaker is blown and the driver side front speaker and tweeter doesn't have power going to them at all. The outside temp display shows a completely wrong temp. and the remote for the keyless entry wont work, even with new batteries. any ideas would be great.

but it seems that my front passenger side speaker is blown and the driver side front speaker and tweeter doesn't have power going to them at all.

My 2001 is like that also. I have heard that one of the main culprets is that the wires get pinched in the "rubber tunnel" that carried the wires into the door and that shorts them out.

I'm not much of an audiophile, so I never took the time to diagnose mine. As long as one speaker works I'm fine.

And....welcome to the addiction.

On my 2000 Sport both front door speakers needed the wiring repaired. There is a splice inside the doors/weather boot that breaks apart. I ended up repairing them at first but later upgraded the speakers and ran new wiring to them. The hardest part is getting the wiring out of the doors enough to find the spot that needs repaired.

As for the keyless entry not working I would verify that it has the keyless receiver installed under the roof console/dome light and that someone didn't just throw the keyfobs on the keys to say it had that feature. Beyond that if you need the fobs reprogramed your going to end up at the dealership. They have to have all of the transmitters you want added up to I think 6 total. They have to use the factory scan tool to add them.

While your at the dealer getting them reprogramed you might want to make sure that all the warranty and recalls have been done to it as well.

I am still waiting to hear your problems. lol.

HAHAHA I was thinking the exact same thing

I'd just replace the speakers. They come cheap. You might look into getting a service manual (Chilton's or equiv. if you want pics. I like these for basic reference and stuff like that. OR get a factory service manual if you want the really detailed stuff)

If there is a wiring problem to the speakers and you can't tell what it is by looking at the connections at the speaker and at the head unit, you'll be in a tough spot. Pull the dash, pull the head unit, and check the wiring connector for missing/broken/bridged wires.

Front speaker problems in late models are a very common problem, and as mentioned above, it's a simple matter of the splice located inside the "tunnel" going from the door into the Jeep becomes pinched over time and breaks apart. No need at all to pull the entire dash out.

The easiest solution is to run new wire and be done with it. I ran new wires from the speakers and tapped into the factory wiring back in side the jeep, behind the kick panel on each side.

For your ambient temperature, if it's in *F and still reading wack, replace the little sensor. It's called an Ambient Air Temperature sensor, and they run somewhere around $20 at the local parts house. Mine's been through a couple of them for some odd reason.

Being it's a 2001, both the thermometer and the speaker are probably because your cylinder head is cracked.

:roflmao:

...the only diagnoses you'll hear from now on. Trade it in on an 89. They have a myriad of undiagnosable problems.

Seriously though, problems with the wiring for the passenger side speaker and the OH console...wiring for both is all on the passenger side

Can't help with any of your problems...just wanted to say that is a clean, nice looking Jeep! I have a 2000 in the same color. BTW, I am jealous you have a temp readout and keyless entry! I have cruise control and a SWEET cassette player in mine.

Had an '89 for only 17y and 248k, warm thoughts, but ya now I'm loving my '01 with a three speaker system, unless the drivers side door is open, then I get Quadrasound! Might be pulling that rubber thingy some day.

Back