• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Sleeve or Not To Sleeve

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I am running 35x12.50x15 MTR Kevlars, I am wanting to beef up my HP dana 30, I am running these other parts too. Aussie locker, 5-760x U-joints with almost alloy kit installed, Gusseted UCA mount, Rustys kit which gussets the top of the long tube and underneath the C's to the tube, also full Gussets for the C's from Iron Rock offroad. Do I really need to sleeve the axle tubes too? I am never gonna go any bigger than 35's without moving to 1 tons. Opinions Please!

Was thinking about going down that road to. Its a great option in my mind. Would deff beef up the tubes. But alot of work for just a little strength. When I do it, I will prob drill a few holes in the main tubes itself and then spot weld into the sleves to burn them in give it just that little more beef. Just my thinking.

Ive seen on here a few places to have them tig welded from the inside and mig the outside and drill holes to spot/rosette weld them in. The welding isnt that bad, although I dont know how to nor do I have a tig welder. I'm guessing that if you do the spot welds and weld the outer that the tig on the inside is a little excessive. But I really dont know if it is really necessary to sleeve them if you are gusseting the outside of the tubes, arent you essentially achieving the same thing via a different method.

Good to do both..

Housing2.jpg

Housing1.jpg

One protects against bending. The other against breaking off entirely.. ;)

530167126203_0_bg.jpg

875257126203_0_bg.jpg

That wasn't me, it was Kejtar. He was driving on somewhat flat level trail, on 33's. It just sorta happened.

Dan Turner from Loose Nuts Enterprises welded it up on the trail with 3 car batteries and some welding rod. Kejtar ran the entire Rubicon on it, and then drove 400 miles home.

285557126203_0_BG.jpg

297657126203_0_BG.jpg

614477126203_0_BG.jpg

239767126203_0_BG.jpg

thats pretty cool! I need to practice with my welding rod incase i ever have to do something like that. I wonder if dude ever switched out is Dana 30 or if he still runs the same one

he switched it out. it pulled a little to one side, and he was afraid it was not strait and would eventually damage his locker.

that said, looking at it, if you didnt know what happened there was no way to tell.

That's awesome except the jacks that are holding the jeep up. Kinda scary looking to me. Maybe there was more but, I don't see it.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

wonder if he would just got it aligned if it woulda been ok. Still cool! I bought a pack of welding rod that i keep in my trail box but I have never practiced before, i really really need to practice doing that, I guess I figured Hit cant be that hard, hook positives in a row then to negatives then hold rod with pos cable and hook neg to metal, putem in the crack and snap, crackle pop its bacon time right?

I was thinking the same thing, on the news two nights ago here a local guy was changing his oil on his gravel drive and the car slipped off the jack stands onto him and killed him instantly! Wife heard it and immediately jacked the vehicle up and he was already gone. Can never be safe you know

Positive to the frame, negative to the rod. Yes, practice.

get some PVC tube and keep your rod in it. It needs to stay very very dry..

I recall there being something pretty solid holding that jeep up before Dan crawled under there to work, but this was 2005, so I don't remember clearly what it was..

the rod is in a plastic container that it came in still with plastic on it.. thanks for setting me straight on the neg and positive thing. How long was he able to weld on three batteries? Did he have to stop and put them back in a vehicle to recharge them? You think he could have done it with two?

He welded all night, there was enough charge left to start the jeeps with them.

I've welded with two, but when you're dealing with something that thick..

Let me see if I got this 'welding with battery right'... I think the stick welder usually output about 28 volts DC and the AMPS are adjusted depending on requirements. Are the batterys connected to increase the AMPS or both AMPS and Volts ie; parallel only or parellel and series?

Let me see if I got this 'welding with battery right'... I think the stick welder usually output about 28 volts DC and the AMPS are adjusted depending on requirements. Are the batterys connected to increase the AMPS or both AMPS and Volts ie; parallel only or parellel and series?

Depends on the welder. 18 volts to 40 volts, give or take.

I have always used two batteries, with great luck. I have not however tried to weld an axle housing back together on the trail.. ;)

they are .250".

On the knuckles, pre and post heat the hell out of them, but weld normally.

Welding to the diff, it is cast iron, you want to preheat extensively and then weld with nickle rod.

A professional welder may chime in with better advice. I pay people to weld for me, because i suck at it. ;)

Back